Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Schedule a refresh after data is updated

Hi all,

We have Excel files on premise which update every day. Using an on-premise gateway we can publish the reports based on these Excel files to Power BI service. 

The published reports have a scheduled refresh at 9 am every day. However, sometimes it occurs that the Excel file gets updated on a random time, instead of before 9am. Then we don't have up to date data in our Power BI reports.

Is there a way that Power BI service can see if the Excel files are updated and therefore schedule a refresh after this occurs? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I do not believe this is possible.  I would recommend trying to add a few more refreh start times in this case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The most direct way is to look at Refresh history in dataset settings in Service .If the Type is “Scheduled” that means the refresh is scheduled refresh .If the Type is “On demand”, that means the refresh is manual refresh .Then you can judge the reason for the inaccurate refresh time .

Ailsamsft_0-1640227616121.png
Ailsamsft_1-1640227616125.png

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I do not believe this is possible.  I would recommend trying to add a few more refreh start times in this case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does having a lot of refresh start times have negative concequences? 

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I have not noticed any negative consequences.  Maybe due to this particular BI report is able to refresh fairly quickly.  I would not recommend if the report takes long to refresh though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors