Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kunal_Epigeeus
Frequent Visitor

Schedule Refresh and Incremental refresh

Hi Community members,

I am having premium license for Power BI. Using it, I have published data models and reports on Power BI Service.
I have 2 below doubts.Could you please share steps to implement these:

1. How to set up automatic data refresh schedule
  2. How I can set up incremental load in data models.

I am using Postgres db as data source hosted on AWS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. If you were able to connect power bi desktop directly to postgres without installing any additional component, then you might be able to just go to the semantic model settings and schedule refresh.

However, data bases hosted at AWS might not be that straight forward. If you could configure like that it might need a Power Bi onpremise data gateway client on a AWS EC3 (VM) to let it communicate with the database and powerbi service to help on the refresh. That way you could schedule refresh like this:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

I would start with that. Incremental refresh is a whole other world that you need to modify your current development (pbix file) and your source tables should have capabilities like "modifiedDate" in order to make it work. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-overview

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kunal_Epigeeus
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ibarrau 

Thanks for your response!

Does this schedule refresh option present on Power BI service will refresh the data extract?
I mean to say the data present in model as an extract will be refreshed wiht the latest data using this refresh option.Could you please confirm this ?

Regsrds,
Kunal

I'm sorry but I don't understand the phrase "refresh data extract".  What do you mean with extract? the docs and the idea is to configure a refresh that will update all data in the model. Your data model will be refreshed completely. Like the refresh button at power bi desktop.

If this is not clear please add more details about "this data extract".

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I'm not sure what you are asking. I can say that once the sources are configured (with only cloud credentials or the onpremise data gateway) a refresh at PowerBi Service it's like clicking "refresh" at the power bi desktop.

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. If you were able to connect power bi desktop directly to postgres without installing any additional component, then you might be able to just go to the semantic model settings and schedule refresh.

However, data bases hosted at AWS might not be that straight forward. If you could configure like that it might need a Power Bi onpremise data gateway client on a AWS EC3 (VM) to let it communicate with the database and powerbi service to help on the refresh. That way you could schedule refresh like this:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

I would start with that. Incremental refresh is a whole other world that you need to modify your current development (pbix file) and your source tables should have capabilities like "modifiedDate" in order to make it work. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-overview

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors