Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rkumar
Helper III
Helper III

Save a copy of already published Power BI report from service to My Workspace.

Hi All,

Can we save a copy of already published power bi report to Personal workspace"My Workspace".

This will allow us to use a copy of original report without impacting the original one.

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @rkumar ,

You only see the Save a copy icon if the report is in a new experience workspace, and you have Build permission. Even if you have access to the workspace, you have to have Build permission for the dataset.

Here is the reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-copy-reports

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Nimai123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hello @rkumar 

Yes, we can copy the reports from one workspace to another workspace, and from Personal workspace"My Workspace" to another workspace.

No, we cant copy the reports to Personal workspace"My Workspace".

To solve your problem you can create another workspace and copy the report so that you can play with it without impacting the main report.

If you like my solution give it a Kudos!

And if it solves your problem accept it as a solution.

Regards,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@rkumar - You can download the PBIX file from the ellipses menu when viewing the report and then open it in Power BI Desktop and republish elsewhere. However, I get the feeling that this is for some sort of version control purpose. If that is the case, I would recommend downloading the PBIX and saving it as a PBIT file. Put the PBIT file in a GitHub repository or SharePoint document library with version control turned on. Use the PBIT for version control purposes. 

If this is not related to version control, ignore all of this. But still do version control! 🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply and  Sorry also, I forgot to mention. The functionality is required for users with 'viewer role' assigned.  Please let me know if there is any workaround available.

Hi  @rkumar ,

You only see the Save a copy icon if the report is in a new experience workspace, and you have Build permission. Even if you have access to the workspace, you have to have Build permission for the dataset.

Here is the reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-copy-reports

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

@rkumar - Hmmm, I don't think that Viewers are allowed to download PBIX files, they would need additional rights to the dataset. Not 100% sure what those rights are but Viewers are not allowed to edit, so, no download. 

Latest book!:

@rkumar - Hmmm, I don't think that Viewers are allowed to download PBIX files, they would need additional rights to the dataset.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors