Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amarsale85
Helper II
Helper II

SSAS Live translation with Power BI Embedded

Hey Experts,

I have added translations in my SSAS Tabular DB and i am connecting to it through Power BI with Live connection.

I just want to know if there is any way i could get the translations to work? It works great in Excel when i connect to same SSAS DB. Don't know if that feature is available or not?

When i monitor it through SQL Profiler i get below text:

<PropertyList xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis">
<Catalog>SSAS_Temp</Catalog>
<SspropInitAppName>PowerBI</SspropInitAppName>
<EffectiveUserName>google@123.com</EffectiveUserName>
<LocaleIdentifier>4105</LocaleIdentifier>
<ClientProcessID>5532</ClientProcessID>
<Content>SchemaData</Content>
<Format>Tabular</Format>
<DbpropMsmdActivityID>4770b751-4535-2322-1234-b1c48369f29c</DbpropMsmdActivityID>
<DbpropMsmdRequestID>f63bc8b2-5db8-6789-3453-3210a6345456</DbpropMsmdRequestID>
<DbpropMsmdCurrentActivityID>65678a8d-1212-4232-6565-aa92e6f79090</DbpropMsmdCurrentActivityID>
</PropertyList>

I have no idea if we could change the LocaleIdentifier(text in red above) value passed to SSAS model for translations to work through Power BI embedded Apps owns data code.

I don't want to re-create same reports for each language. That's not an efficient solution. Please help.

Regards,

Amar

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amarsale85 ,

Currently language translation in SSAS is supported in Power BI Desktop. However, live connection to SSAS doesn't support this feature. SSAS translation is not yet supported in Power BI service, either. You can click to vote below ideas.

Add SSAS Tabular Translations using Live Connection in Power BI Service

Provide language translation support present in SSAS to Power BI Service

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi!

I escalated it with the Microsoft team, so hopefully it will be available sooner. It is in the roadmap.

Meanwhile, what works for both MD and Tabular, is if you define language locale "en-US" translations and another one for your actual language like german etc. In local clients, German translation will be used. In powerbi.com "en-US" translation is used (fill in german names).  In that way you can still manage field names and translations seperately.

BW,

Kaarel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors