Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SELECTDBA
Advocate I
Advocate I

SSAS Analysis source through blank query in a Dataflow

Hello all,

We're having difficulities adding an on-prem SSAS analysis service connection through a blank query on a Dataflow.  I've added the correct Power Query:

let
    Source = AnalysisServices.Database("xxxx", "xxxxx", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, Implementation="2.0"]),
    xxxxx1 = Source{[Id="xxxxx"]}[Data],
    xxxxx2 = Invoice1{[Id="xxxxx"]}[Data],
    #"Added Items" = Cube.Transform(xxxxx2,
        {
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "[BUL]", {"[BUL].[BUL].[BUL]", "[Business Unit Line].[BUL Name].[BUL Name]"}, {"BUL.BUL", "BUL.BUL Name"}}
        })
in
    #"Added Items"

After we do that we get the following error after using the correct credentials:

Received error payload from gateway service with ID xxxxxxx: Internal error: MashupCredential for AS data source that uses Windows authentication needs to have an effective user name authentication property.

I appreciate any help on this.  I will add that we already voted to add SSAS on-prem as a datasource direct in Dataflows, so we don't need to use blank queries, but we need something in the mean time.  Thanks.  

6 REPLIES 6
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SELECTDBA ,

Based on this document

The following list shows which connectors you can currently use by copying and pasting the M query into a blank query:

• Azure analysis Services
  • Adobe Analytics
  • ODBC
  • OLE DB
  • Folder
  • SharePoint Online folder
  • SharePoint folder
  • Hadoop HDFS
  • Azure HDInsight (HDFS)
  • Hadoop file HDFS
  • Informix (beta)

It seems the On-Premises SSAS does not supported to used with Blank query in Dataflow.

We also tried to connect with a AS query in Dataflow with a gateway, but we get a InvalidDatasourceTypeForSkipTestConnectionError 

17.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lid-msft thanks for the response and the link.  I can't help but think how big of a mistake this is on Microsoft's part - I wouldn't assume they would have an oversight this big, so maybe there is a reason?  Anyway, what do you think about a OLE DB connection to SSAS?  I tried that, but I was getting a different error.  I wasn't sure if anyone had success there.  Thanks. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What if you try and create the query in Power BI Desktop first?

Also remember that when setting up the Gateway the Domain\UserAccount has to be an Admin on your SSAS Server for the queries to work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the response, @GilbertQ.  I did get and try that query in Power BI Desktop, and it worked fine there (the account is an admin on the SSAS box).  Is this something you have ever got to work?  Thanks again.  

Hi there

Have you mapped the username on the data source in the Gateway on the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Do you have any docs for this? we are getting the same error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors