Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reshare & Contributor

Hello,

According to the documentation :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...

2 Contributors and Viewers can also share items in a workspace if they have Reshare permissions.

I does not seem possible for contributor to share report in a workspace. I explicitly added reshare permission on a dataset on my workspace to a contributor but the user never gets the share button/icon on the report. For me, items in a workspace represent datasets, reports & dashbaords, right ?

However, if he copies the report in my workspace then he can share it.

Is it or bug or something is missing in the documentation ? 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the point of being a contributor if you can't share your own work?  It's one thing to limit a person's ability to share reports built off of a dataset not shared with them, but if it's their own dataset and they've been granted a Pro License so they can PUBLISH, why do they need to be a 'member' in order to share their own report?  As a member they'd have the ability to manage things they don't own and see things they shouldn't see...I think this is a gap in consideration.

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

The documentation is not wrong.

A contributor doesn't have the share permission by default over the reports inside the workspace but can have share persmission when extensively provided.

Go to the individual report access and share the report with user having contributor role in workspace with below 2 options ticked:

share2.JPG

What indirectly happens is the report level access over-rides workspace level access and hence a user with even contributor role in workspace is able to share reports because of reshare permission over invidual report.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors