Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sgsukumaran
Resolver II
Resolver II

Report renders slow on Server

Our Powerbi Reports using Direct query to SSAS renders in less in 6 secs on the desktop version but takes more than a minute to render on the PBI server.

We do have more than 15 visuals but things used to load up really fast before(less than 20 secs). Any suggestions/ideas would be good.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @Anonymous and @GilbertQ. That validates my concern too that we are sending all the users via 1Gb Pipe. The reports renders better on off peak hours and even better on windows 10 powered PC's.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sgsukumaran

@Anonymous has given some great suggestions.

My question when you are talking about the Server, is it the Power BI Service, or Power BI Report Server?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ : I am talking about PowerBI service. The reports use to render really fast until september and suddenly the performance tanked. On the corporate level we onboarded more than 5k people to Office 365 but still only handful of them still access to the reports.

Hi @sgsukumaran

Have there been any changes made to the Power BI Reports?

I currently have got a report that is 854Mb and it is running very quickly on the Power BI Service.

Power BI Blog

NO there have been no changes to the report but thousands of people were onboarded in office365

Hi @sgsukumaran

As far as I am aware that should not have any effect on the reports being rendered. I have not had any issues.

One last thing might be to ensure that there is enough bandwidth when you are connecting to Power BI. If everyone is now using Office 365 there is potentially a lot more data going through.

One day to test is either early in the morning or after hours when the majority of the users are not in the office, to see if it is indeed a potential bandwith issue.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQhits on a very relevant point.  If your business has migrated a large number of staff to office 365, your local bandwidth may be under strain from the increased data transfer requirement.

Are you having performance issues with any other online services as well?

Thanks @Anonymous and @GilbertQ. That validates my concern too that we are sending all the users via 1Gb Pipe. The reports renders better on off peak hours and even better on windows 10 powered PC's.

Hi @sgsukumaran,

I am glad to hear your reports render is better. Please mark your reply/ useful reply as answer, so more people like you will get helpful information from here. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reports on the Service have to go from Office365 online environment, through into whatever system you are using.  In a lot of cases these servers will be inside your network, accessable via an on-premise data gateway.  Accessing servers inside your own network should be fairly fast, even faster if you are in the same phyiscal location.

You might see some performance increases I would consider:

• What region is hosting your Office365 and Power BI?  How close is it to you?
  • How much bandwidth and processing power does your Gateway Server have?  Is it able to process the requests quick enough?
  • How close is your Gateway to the data sources, networking wise?  Does the data have to bounce around unnecessarily?
  • Are you querying production systems that have to field other requests?  Is the time of day and peak usage factoring into your testing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors