Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vgeldbr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Report pages not updating when publishing update from Power BI desktop

I have a relatively large report with a <500Mb dataset. Since yesterday, when I publish updates to the PowerBI service the dataset updates but the report does not. Any edits (adding visuals, renaming pages etc.) in the report are not showing in the Power BI service. I don't want to delete the report and re-publish the report as all links my consumers have will break, I will have to re-share with all people I've manually made it available to, dashboard using the report will break etc.

Any ideas how to fix this? It feels like when I publish somethign has happened and the report is simply not updating. I am using latest October 2020 build.

I have cleared all browser caches etc. so this is not related to local caching.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I resolved this with the help of Microsoft Support. The issue was that when I have a dashboard based on visuals in this report and when the columns changed this broken the dashboard but also prevented the report from updating. When I removed the dashboard the correct report immediately showed without any need to re-publish. Microsoft engineering appears to be aware of this issue which may impact others until addressed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Kbronquillo

Hello, I hope someone can help, I have published my report in service it is showing in my service but when I checked to other users who are part of that workspace they are not seeing the change. It seems that the update was not reflected in there service when they look at it, test this to two of my collegaues already

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vgeldbr ,

Sorry for my late reply.

Please kindly refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Published-PowerBi-report-does-not-automatically-refresh/td-...

The above post explains the differences among dataset, report and dashboard. I guess you may be talking about the refresh problem of the dashboard which you may refer to: Report visuals not updating.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft  thanks but no, that is not what I meant. In my case the report (the pages containing the visuals) is not updating at all. The data model is. I have deleted every page in the report and left one blank page and still the data model updates when I publish but the original report with all of the original pages and visuals remains.

Did you get any soultion working for this issue? I am running into the same now.

I resolved this with the help of Microsoft Support. The issue was that when I have a dashboard based on visuals in this report and when the columns changed this broken the dashboard but also prevented the report from updating. When I removed the dashboard the correct report immediately showed without any need to re-publish. Microsoft engineering appears to be aware of this issue which may impact others until addressed.

vgeldbr
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have now also tried saving the PBIX file as a BPIT file, refresh the data and re-publish and the report pages are still not updating in the Power BI service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors