Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yaman123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Report not loading

Hi, 

I am having issues with a report on ther service not loading any visuals. I am getting the error - This report couldn't access the data source. Contact 'name', the author, to have it fixed.  The report is a direct query and was working fine until today. 

In desktop, the report works fine and refreshes. In the service, the gateway and data sources are online. So i'm not quite sure why there is this issue with this report. 

If someone has a resolution would be greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yaman123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @collinq @v-rongtiep-msft 

The issue fixed itself the next day. There was no issue with the report. We did change on of our servers settings and applied the fix to tnsnames too. 

We are looking to move the gateway server to another server. Is there anything we should look out for? We need the transistion to be as smooth as possible. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yaman123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @collinq @v-rongtiep-msft 

The issue fixed itself the next day. There was no issue with the report. We did change on of our servers settings and applied the fix to tnsnames too. 

We are looking to move the gateway server to another server. Is there anything we should look out for? We need the transistion to be as smooth as possible. 

Hi @yaman123 ,

During migration of an on-premises data gateway, some downtime generally occurs. During this downtime, some in-progress refreshes might not succeed.

If a gateway only contains one member, you should expect the following to occur when you migrate the gateway:

• Expect all ongoing refreshes using the previous machine to be unsuccessful.

• Expect new refreshes starting a few minutes after migration to succeed.

The only way to ensure that there is 100% uptime during a migration:

1. Create a gateway with more than one gateway member (a cluster of gateways).
  2. Disable the gateway that's going to be migrated (in the Power Platform admin center).
  3. Migrate the disabled gateway member.
  4. Re-enable the gateway member.

More details: Migrate, restore, or take over an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @yaman123 ,

I have found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: Report couldn't access data source in Direct Query... - Microsoft Power BI Community

• This looks like the credentials you are using in the gateway do not have sufficient permissions to access the database. 
  •  it can't access all the tables/views that it needs to in order to produce the report results... what level of permission does it have on the SQL Server? Is it a different account, or your credentials?

• Alternatively, did you use a basic auth connection in the Desktop?

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @yaman123 ,

This might be a mis-alignment between the Gateway in the Service and the Desktop.  Are they both updated to the latest and greatest versions?  Or, have permissions being used in the Service version of your report the same as the Desktop version?  Or, probably more importantly, is the Gateway userid and type of link (organization, none, private...) the same as the one being used in the Desktop?  Any userids/passwords changed since this last worked?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors