Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report content not visible - dataset from a different workspace

Hi again,

So our organisation is fairly new to BI Service. All employees have a Pro licence as part of their Microsoft subscription (I'm not a techie so don't know the full details).

We have set up a number of workspaces, and a number of different apps. Each workspace has a few datasets. All security for datasets and apps appear to have entire organisation as viewers/ App (Reshare) etc. I cannot see an issue there, when both datasets, workspaces and apps have the same permissions.

Dataset Permisison.JPG

App Permisison.JPG

So "workspace 1" has reports in it using a dataset from "workspace 2" (along with reports from its own datasets) and the reports are published to dashboards, through to App 1.

"Workspace 2" has reports in it using a dataset from "workspace 1" and the reports are published to dashboards, through to App 2.

App 1 was deployed in January 2020. App 2 was deployed in March 2020.

All reports in App 2 are viewable by the entire organisation. But, our users cannot see the content of the new dashboards in App 1 that use a dataset from App 2 due to permissions:

Cannot See.jpg

I took a copy of the report and saved it to workspace 2 (where its dataset is), republished dashboards and apps, and everyone can see the contents in App 2.

I'm at a loss, don't know if it's "new workspace" vs "classic workspace" or maybe a tenant setting. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just found out that all of our workspaces are new. So it's just the permissions I'm struggling with.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

For datasets across workspaces, you need keep all the workspace are "new workspace", it could achieve in "classic workspace".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-across-workspaces

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone explain the permissions associated with "Entire Organisation" and "App (build), reshare" please?

I have inherited the security permission maintenance task, and I would have expected that if the entire organisation had app permissions, then everyone in the organisation could see the data. I have just had to add someone specifically to a workspace so a report would work. Is there a setting where everyone in the organisation can automatically see everything?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just found out that all of our workspaces are new. So it's just the permissions I'm struggling with.

hi  @Anonymous 

Sorry for my mistake,  it could achieve in "classic workspace". it couldn't achieve in "classic workspace", and your problem is just a permission problem.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors