Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

abbas_uddin
Helper I
Helper I

Refreshed Report for end users

Dear Experts,

As a new power bi user, i have installed personal gateway on my machine, aware that the machine should be running 24x7 for gateway to work properly.

The question is i have scheduled a dataset and shared the report to another user. Will the user be able to see refreshed report? The user doesnt have gateway installed.

does the user should be having a pro license to access the report?

is there a way that once the report is refreshed then report link can be shared automatically to users by email? so they can access the report on daily basis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let me explain you. The report on power bi service is the same for any user that can see it. If you configure a gateway and schedule refresh it everyone with access to that report will have the data updated.

The option of sharing in power bi is for pro users. The user that share and the one that receive the sharing both have to be pro users.

As a suggestion you should use an onpremise data gateway. The difference with the personal is that it runs a service in windows that is more stable than an app.

Once you have share with the other user, you can copy the link in your url and send it. There is another way to create a link called "Publish to Web", but this options will release to public internet your data (this is not recommended for critical data). That second option is public for everyone and won't request for pro user.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mhkurban

Hi ,I have a question: I shared a report that I created with my manager with full permisision but still he can not on-demand refresh the dataset (and visual ) . it works on scheduled refresh but not on demand. is that even possible for a shared dataset or report in powerBI? we need end user to be able to refresh data in Demand. thanks

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let me explain you. The report on power bi service is the same for any user that can see it. If you configure a gateway and schedule refresh it everyone with access to that report will have the data updated.

The option of sharing in power bi is for pro users. The user that share and the one that receive the sharing both have to be pro users.

As a suggestion you should use an onpremise data gateway. The difference with the personal is that it runs a service in windows that is more stable than an app.

Once you have share with the other user, you can copy the link in your url and send it. There is another way to create a link called "Publish to Web", but this options will release to public internet your data (this is not recommended for critical data). That second option is public for everyone and won't request for pro user.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi @ibarrau 

Got it. Pretty much explained, lastly if i put users on subscription through email for that report on daily basis that would also solve the problem. As the report will be refreshed automatically and they will receive the link for the same report and access it considering that they should be a pro user.

Regards

No. In order to get the users access to power bi service you need to share with them the report or dashboard first or add the people to the workspace with the appropiate role (that is something you do just one time). Then you can suscribe them on email. Otherwise they will receive the mail but won't be able to access the site.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

@ibarrau  Clear about it.

Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors