Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

btodres
Advocate I
Advocate I

RLS - strange behavior

It seems that if I setup RLS for ANY user who I give access to a dashboard, then I need to also setup RLS for ALL other users, even if I don't secure anything for those otehr users, otherwise the dashboards that I share with a user who I havent setup RLS for can no longer see any visuals within a dashborad report.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

One other note on this, I did notice that when I did the RLS thing with a user, while I did not test a different user other than myself, I was able to see everything and was not setup in a specific role of any kind, so it must not extend to the owner of the data set.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, it is still Preview technically. And, no "wildcard". To a certain degree this makes sense. You might want to create a custom column in your dataset that is essentially:

RLS = 1

Then you could setup your RLS for all of your other users to just be:

Table[RLS] = 1

Essentially, create your own global wildcard for "everything"

Latest book!:

thx, for your reply.  I found that all I have to do is add the user name of anyone i shared a dashboard with in a new RLS Role and not include any rules for those users and they can then see and interact with any dashboards I shared with them.  The other users who I do want to have various RLS rules enabled are not impacted.

Very cool, thanks for the update. One other thing that I have found, and they warn you about it when you setup RLS, is that if you are using a Desktop file and republish, it blows away your RLS. Assuming this will be fixed before it gets out of preview.

Latest book!:

ewww... That is really good to know.

Thanks @Greg_Deckler

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors