Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodrigomo
Frequent Visitor

RLS problems with Power BI Service data source

Hi everyone!

I am having problems with RLS when I use Power BI Service Data Source. I am using the Power BI Data Source to share databases to “super” users. With this, the super users can to develop application in Power BI Desktop and use the data as a content pack. Follow the model:

ModelModel

Well, all was going fine until I configure RLS in the database. When I did this the application developed by super user turns instable. In the first time that the a “normal” user access the shared dashboard it’s ok, all works fine and the data are filter according with RLS (step 5). However, when a screen refresh (F5) is done or logout and login back, the message “The report shown in this tile doesn’t exist or you don’t have permission to view it.” is showed. After that, the only way to back to work is accessing another dashboard, press F5 and back to the Dashboard with RLs and then it works ok until a new screen refresh or login/logout.

Anyone have the same problem or can help me with this?

Thanks!

DataDataRole definitionRole definitionShared dash workingShared dash workingShared dash doesn't workingShared dash doesn't working

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@rodrigomo

I haven't reproduced your issue. I followed your steps:

1. Publish a blank report with RLS configured

2. Get data from this dataset in Power BI Desktop by Admin user

3. Publish a new report onto Power BI Service and create dashboard. 

4. Share dashboard to Normal user.

My end users can always view corresponding data after "F5" refresh or "logout/login back". 

In this scenario, both reports are fed with same dataset, and your end user can view the correct data initially. It should have no permission issue.

Please open Fiddler to capture the request and see the detail error message when refreshing screen. If the issue persists, please you may create a support ticket

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@rodrigomo

I haven't reproduced your issue. I followed your steps:

1. Publish a blank report with RLS configured

2. Get data from this dataset in Power BI Desktop by Admin user

3. Publish a new report onto Power BI Service and create dashboard. 

4. Share dashboard to Normal user.

My end users can always view corresponding data after "F5" refresh or "logout/login back". 

In this scenario, both reports are fed with same dataset, and your end user can view the correct data initially. It should have no permission issue.

Please open Fiddler to capture the request and see the detail error message when refreshing screen. If the issue persists, please you may create a support ticket

Regards,

I don't know what happened. Some days after my post, the problem didn't occurs more. Maybe a Power Bi Service update? Thanks for the attention.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors