Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnSc93
Helper I
Helper I

RLS doesn't work with data-export

Hi together,

I have faced the following issue.

One user is part of an RLS role and the role works if the user uses the report within an app on PowerBI Service workspace (visuals etc.)

But if the user does an export of data within a provided summary-table, the RLS doesn't work and the user gets all the data within the exported Excel-file.

Does anyone have the same issue or knows how to solve it?

Thank you and regards,

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @AnSc93 

Based on my research and understanding on your current issue met, the RLS can be applied to your end-user in the report viewing but lost control when your end-user export the visual to .csv/xlsx file, if I'm understanding correctly, this should be mentioned as by-design in this official documentation:

Allow users to export data: Even users with the Viewer role in the workspace can export data if they have Build permission on the datasets in that workspace. Read more about:
Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you want to avoid the data lost control for the end-users with RLS restricted, here are two methods you can follow,
One is to remove the build permission for the dataset for this end-user because they can be applied RLS as long as they are "Viewer" access to your Power BI workspace

Another is to go to the source .pbix file of this report, disable the "Export summarized data" option for this current report and publish the report to the Power BI service again:

Start in Power BI Desktop.

1.From the upper left corner, select File > Options and Settings > Options.
2.Under CURRENT FILE, select Report settings.

3.Make your selection from the Export data section.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1691373126751.png

Please detailed refer to this official documentation:

Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AnSc93
Helper I
Helper I

Hi  v-yueyunzh-msft,

thanks a lot for your detailed explanation!

I will check it for my use case and give you feedback afterwards.

Best regards,

Andreas

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @AnSc93 

Based on my research and understanding on your current issue met, the RLS can be applied to your end-user in the report viewing but lost control when your end-user export the visual to .csv/xlsx file, if I'm understanding correctly, this should be mentioned as by-design in this official documentation:

Allow users to export data: Even users with the Viewer role in the workspace can export data if they have Build permission on the datasets in that workspace. Read more about:
Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you want to avoid the data lost control for the end-users with RLS restricted, here are two methods you can follow,
One is to remove the build permission for the dataset for this end-user because they can be applied RLS as long as they are "Viewer" access to your Power BI workspace

Another is to go to the source .pbix file of this report, disable the "Export summarized data" option for this current report and publish the report to the Power BI service again:

Start in Power BI Desktop.

1.From the upper left corner, select File > Options and Settings > Options.
2.Under CURRENT FILE, select Report settings.

3.Make your selection from the Export data section.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1691373126751.png

Please detailed refer to this official documentation:

Export data from a Power BI visualization - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors