Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Winniethewinner
Helper III
Helper III

Query changes for scheduled refresh in Service

Hello All, 

I have a report with scheduled refresh in Service. If I make changes with the query (which is the SQL statement connected to Teradata) in the Desktop version and save it, do I need to refresh in the Desktop and republish to the Service? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Winniethewinner ,

When you publish from the desktop it SHOULD refresh on the Service but that is not always a given.  If you want to be sure, what I do (unless the query is massive) is to refresh in desktop, then publish and then update app and I know all is well.  

However, worst case scenario, you are right that the Service can potentially have some data that is "newer" than the other.  But, that only lasts until the next scheduled refresh when everything gets caught up.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Winniethewinner ,

There could be a few levels here.  The scheduled refresh runs based on the Service settings.  So, modifying the report doesn't affect the schedule refresh.

That said, modifying the report may affect the ability of the report to refresh.  

In a nutshell, the steps for when you change your report are:

1. Modify the report in Desktop

2. Optional step - You can refresh or not, that doesn't affect the scheduled refresh

3. Publish to the Service

4. If you made a change to a data source that you have a gateway for you will need to modify the gateway source in the settings in the service

5. If you made a change to your report structure in any way, you will need to "update app" after publishing the report

6. After updating the app, you should be good to go

7. If you are unsure that all is well, check the dataset's schedule refresh settings which should be unchanged.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @collinq . 

My scenario is, I have a report with 2x tables which sourced from 2x SQL statements:

Winniethewinner_0-1661520814944.png

For example the desktop version has refreshed as of 08-15 and published to Service. The Service is set up daily refresh.

Today I made some changes with my SQL statements in ADVANCED table in desktop version, CAPACITY no change. So now in desktop, ADVANCED has data as of today and CAPACITY has data as of 08-15.  If I publish it to Service, click "update app", the audience will see the report with outdated CAPACITY data, right? 

In this case, should I need to refresh all data in the desktop first, then republish to the Service? 

Hey @Winniethewinner ,

When you publish from the desktop it SHOULD refresh on the Service but that is not always a given.  If you want to be sure, what I do (unless the query is massive) is to refresh in desktop, then publish and then update app and I know all is well.  

However, worst case scenario, you are right that the Service can potentially have some data that is "newer" than the other.  But, that only lasts until the next scheduled refresh when everything gets caught up.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks. Yeah I think for the query change the "safer" way would be to refresh in the desktop first and then publish -> update app. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors