Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rincewind
Frequent Visitor

Publish to Web and licensing

I have been playing with datasets on my own time and I would like to publish these reports to the web.

I want to understand how I can do this. I know that I will need my own Power BI account (rather than my company's) to do this. I also know that I can create a free account using this method by Guy in a Cube: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZyy_qqRPiU).

However, I cannot publish from the web as shown in the video because I dont have access to the Administrator settings in Power BI service.

How can I publish my reports this way?

I know that I will probably need a company domain at least. Something like companyname.com. Is this accurate? (I'm thinking I can buy something on google domains and then set up email forwarding to my personal email)

Will I get administrator access to power bi service if I sign up to the free power bi account this way? And then can i publish to web this way?

And do I need a pro license after this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rincewind 

If you have registered a personal account through the above method but are not an administrator, You could register in Azure (https://portal.azure.com/#home) to assign yourself to a admin role. And then you can see Admin Portal in Power BI and enable settings.

Please follow the steps in the solved thread:

Solved: Re: Embed code permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community

A pro licence is not required to use the publish to web feature.

vjaneygmsft_0-1651030511680.png

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rincewind 

If you have registered a personal account through the above method but are not an administrator, You could register in Azure (https://portal.azure.com/#home) to assign yourself to a admin role. And then you can see Admin Portal in Power BI and enable settings.

Please follow the steps in the solved thread:

Solved: Re: Embed code permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community

A pro licence is not required to use the publish to web feature.

vjaneygmsft_0-1651030511680.png

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That actually worked! I went in to the azure portal and was able to set up myself as the power bi administrator.

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors