Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SHS
Resolver I
Resolver I

Publish App to another Workspace or Hide Reports in Workspace part of App

Hello, 

I have a question, with very limited knowledge regarding the functionalities of Power BI Apps, and initially I haven't been to find an exact answer to my question(s). 

Background
We are currently working on creating a Workspace for each Divison in our Organization. Our idea is, that we will have one official report for each divison, which will be published as an App. Additionally, the workspace may contain other "stand-alone" reports that are focusing on specific activities. 

Question

- If I have a workspace containing all the reports used for the specific App, can I then publish this App to the Divison Workspace (so the app is maintained in a separate workspace, the division will not be able to affect as this is developed by the BI Team)?

- Or alternatively, is this is not possible, is there a way to hide all the reports I have used for a specific App, so the users for the divisonal workspace will only be able to see the app and any other report or dashboard not part of the app 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi there. Let's see. Power Bi Apps is a feature in Power Bi that will let you pick content like reports and dashboards to be included in a pack of an specific Workspace. One Workspace can have one App. Each Apps is created with content of the workspace in which is created. You can't create an App in a different workspace with content from different workspace.

The App will also help you distribute and separete a little bit the environments. Power Bi Apps can freeze the design of the reports even if you republish a report again and replace it in the workspace. The way to make the App take the last version of the report is "Updating App". If you don't update the app you can still work on a report new version and new features keeping the last one distributed to the users. In a certain way, you can think as the app like the production environment and the workspace as the test one. The app will also let you pick which conent you want to distribute, so you can keep new reports in the workspace and not include them in the app: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps#publish-y...

At the end, when you are updating the app you can select the users you want to share with. Be careful with the options when sharing, if you give them build permission they might be able to see the workspace.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi there. Let's see. Power Bi Apps is a feature in Power Bi that will let you pick content like reports and dashboards to be included in a pack of an specific Workspace. One Workspace can have one App. Each Apps is created with content of the workspace in which is created. You can't create an App in a different workspace with content from different workspace.

The App will also help you distribute and separete a little bit the environments. Power Bi Apps can freeze the design of the reports even if you republish a report again and replace it in the workspace. The way to make the App take the last version of the report is "Updating App". If you don't update the app you can still work on a report new version and new features keeping the last one distributed to the users. In a certain way, you can think as the app like the production environment and the workspace as the test one. The app will also let you pick which conent you want to distribute, so you can keep new reports in the workspace and not include them in the app: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps#publish-y...

At the end, when you are updating the app you can select the users you want to share with. Be careful with the options when sharing, if you give them build permission they might be able to see the workspace.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors