Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Falin

Problem with updating my getaway and connecting PostgreSQL direct query to it.

Hi everyone,

I use the gateway to upade my data. Since i used a directquery connection on PostgreSQL when i try to match it with my gateway clusters, it show me the following message : 

Microsoft Teams.jpg

When i look on my getaway parameters it show me that my current version need to be updated.

PrtScr capture.jpg

So when i try to update my gateway it say it's not possible (update failure). I don't know why....

echecmaj.png

So i tried to uninstall et reinstall but i can't not uninstall it.... (maybe because its active on my PBI service clusters ?)

echecuninstall.png

Here my questions : 

I saw here a problem using the directQ with PostgreSQL. Some people on this community said that i need a npgsql old version with GAC to be able to refresh with my gateway. Do i still need to download this ? Or do the latest version of the gateway will fix this npgsql problem ? I even ask if there a link between my current gateway version and the fact that my PostgreSQL is not working.

and of course why my gateway is not updating ?

Sorry if my english is bad.

I really hope you can help me on this one.

Have a good day.

Faliana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @aj1973 

here a little update, I installed the missing file in the library with GAC and it worked now. 

Thank you for your time and your help.

Falin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Falin

Hi Amine,

Thanks I try to do my best :p.

Here my answer : 

• Are you the admin of the Gateway?  Yes
  • Where is the Gateway installed ?  I can not tell it was another person who did the installation. Maybe you can tell me where i can find the folder installation ?
  • Have you used it before to refresh the report ?  Yes. I already use the gateway but with only imported file. It worked well. But now, I use direct query with SQL SERVER and PostgreSQL. There is only a problem with PostgreSQL.
  • Your report, are you using Import mode or Direct Query ? I use both. I have a report with only imported (worked well when i refresh on the PBI service) and report with mixed sources (excel and direct query connection.) Maybe its not a good manner of doing things.

Thanks you

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Falin 

You can't be the admin if you didn't install it!! Where was the Gateway installed? On premises or Local machine? and I see that you are combining 2 different sources that's why the Gateway can't refresh the report.
You need one Gateway for one Dataset regardless of how many sources you are combining in it , Therefore you would need to install a Gateway in your machine maybe and add the 2 sources to the Gateway. The old Gateway won't work if the 2 sources are not in the same machine.

You can refer to this

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Connect-datasets-to-2-gateways/m-p/854631

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @aj1973 ,

Thanks for your answer.

Here my response : 

You can't be the admin if you didn't install it!! Where was the Gateway installed? It's an IT guy who installed it on my computer with my 365 account. I don't know where he installed it.

On premises or Local machine? It's a on premises. i don't have a personnal gateway.

You need one Gateway for one Dataset regardless of how many sources you are combining in it , Therefore you would need to install a Gateway in your machine maybe and add the 2 sources to the Gateway. The old Gateway won't work if the 2 sources are not in the same machine.

Does it mean that i have to create 2 gateway for each DirecctQuery sources (SQL server & PostgreSQL) because on the link you posted, the guy who gives the solution said :  "If your dataset contains multiple data sources, each data source must be added in the same gateway.".

Here a picture of my on premise gateway connection with all my sources : 

passerelle.png

Everything is connected and matched .

When i want to refresh it said the following message and the detail below : 

error 3.png

missing client.png

Same message if i go the the parameters of the getaway : 

error message.png

Seems like there is a missing library.

Thanks for your answer. 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Falin 

In response to your 2 first replies : The gateway is installed in your computer meaning it is a local machine and most likely it's a personal Gateway. On Premises means that the Gateway is installed at the source which is not your case since it is installed in your computer and you have 4 sources.

No you don't need to install 2 Gateways, the one installed in your computer could do the work and you did good when you added the 4 sources to the Gateway.

aj1973_0-1643637030187.png

You have a missing file to the source, you need to install it.

Hey let's try to update the Gateway, but since you are not the one who installed it might not work. Try to install a new Gateway from scratch and see if it will ask you to update it.

Another option maybe, if possible try to use another machine and install a new version of the Gateway, hook it up to the 4 sources and see how it works out for you.  

Let me know please

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi @aj1973 

here a little update, I installed the missing file in the library with GAC and it worked now. 

Thank you for your time and your help.

Falin

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Falin

Merci pour la mise à jour.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Falin 

Je vois que vous vous debrouillez pas mal en anglais 🙂

Let's talk english for the community. Are you the admin of the Gateway?
where is the Gateway installed? have you used it before to refresh the report?

Your report, are you using Import mode or Direct Query?

In Power BI desktop, are you able to refresh the report?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors