Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Premium and Memory surcharge

Happy End of Year to you ;>) 

I have a question, please , concerning Premium Memory Surchage and eviction Mechanism 

I think when a dataset needs to be refesh or a report is consumed, the dataset is loaded into memory

For the same dataset we can be on the double of necessary memory if it is solicited at the same time in rendering and in refreshment

However, there is a memory capacity constraint (25 GB for Capacity P1 in my company & 6 refreshes on parallel)

To free memory, an eviction system is in place and  If no eviction is possible, the dataset goes to WAIT ROOM

For the rules of eviction I observed this one:
- A dataset on memory but not consumed via report requests  is evicted after 3 minutes of inactivity

But, are there other rules please with kinds  of prioritization notions  ?

- Can a dataset required to view a report (rendering) induce  Pausing or Evict for a dataset that is currentlty being refreshed ? or It has to wait (WAITING ROOM)?

- Can a dataset required for ad-hoc refresh evict a dataset being refreshed?

Merci beaucoup and Best regards

Christophe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

As I stated, our experience is that it is all controlled by the queue. There is no queue skipping, and no preferential treatment (yet).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

As I stated, our experience is that it is all controlled by the queue. There is no queue skipping, and no preferential treatment (yet).

Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Thank lbendlin

We know all this about the future & GEN2

But in the meantime, please Do you have details on the current Memory Evictions rules ? 

Thanks a lot for any help

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please note that with Gen 2 many of these rules are no longer valid.  Renderers will be made available temporarily, and if you are willing to pay, memory will also be elastically extended beyond the SKU limit.

Apart from that it is all controlled by the queue. There is no queue skipping, and no preferential treatment (yet).

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors