Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

igor_powerbi
Frequent Visitor

PowerBi and Fabric licenses

Question about the current Microsoft Fabric (free) license

We have office365 for all our employees in the organisation

We've bought a PowerBi Pro license for a person creating reports

We've created reports and shared within organisation

Viewers who open reports (logged in to office365) get the message to type work phone number and create Microsoft Fabric (free) account. Then they can fully access the report (for free)

So the question is, is it just temporary or will it be the future possibility for the viewers to open reports for "free" (without paid PowerBi license for each veiwer)?

11 REPLIES 11
OzgurKlc
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ibarrau , I have premimum user and currently share workspace with pro mode. Pro user able to view reports If I change to prememium mode to increase refressh qty?

Regards

Hi. If you mean changing your workspace to PPU capacity (diamond with user logo), then pro users won't be able to view any report. When the workspace is PPU only PPU users can view. If the workspace doesn't have a diamond (shared capacity) it means pro users can view.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The only way a free user can view a report with a free license is if the report is stored in a Dedicated Capacity. That means workspace with Premium or Fabric F64 or higher. Developing with just pro will be only for pro. It's been always like that and there is nothing that might show a change in roadmaps.

If free users can now see things that pro have developed, that might be because users might have enabled the pro trial.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi, thanks for answering

We currently only have 1 PBI Pro license, no premium

Here are the licenses of the viewer account (who can see the report)

Zrzut ekranu 2023-11-23 o 13.44.20.png

And also there is no trial:

Zrzut ekranu 2023-11-23 o 13.53.49.png

Where are you hosting the report? and, How are you sharing the report?

Like I said before, pro sharing pro only. If you can do something now for some reason, even if it's not the pro trial, I wouldn't expect to last. I don't think microsoft will change that.

Regards

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

It's currently an import from oracle database

No gate and no autorefresh setup yet

So basically a report created in PBI Desktop and uploaded to PBI Service

It's ok. I mean if you are publishing to a created workspace or to "My Workspace". Then how sharing I mean if you clicked a shared button to the report, if you have added the free users to workspace, if you clicked on "publish to web" button, etc.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

So when does it became impossible for free users to view?

After I set up autorefresh?

Free users shouldn't view any time. That's why I'm asking which workspace you are using, or how are you sharing? with those answers I might help.

Otherwise you should assume the users have opened a report for the first time and click "Got it" turning on the Pro Trial

ibarrau_0-1700749028502.png

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Well, there was no information about Pro Trial, just about Fabric (free) (on viewers account)

I publish in My Workspace 

Generally process is

1. Created report in PBI Dekstop

2. Connected to Oracle DB by import

3. Clicked Publish button (published in my workspace)

4. In PBI Service, opened report, clicked subscription -> added users and sent email to them with link

5. They opened the link from email, were to create new "Fabric (free)" account and saw full report

I still think they have the pro trial or something like that. You can't add free users to subscription like the following picture shows:

ibarrau_0-1700828137095.png

Only two alternatives. The workspace is a dedicated capacity like the red message shows (you should see a diamond next to the name of the workspace in that case), or the users you are adding have a pro trial. Otherwise it mustn't share with free users. If you can, it's a bug. I wouldn't expect it to last.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors