Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cosminioan
Regular Visitor

PowerBI licensing when connected to SSAS Tabular cubes

hi follks, I was wondering what are the licensing consideration as far as both PBI reports & report server, for an company that already has the  Enterprise Edition of SQL Server (2019), trying to connect/consume existing SSAS Tabular cubes, meaning, no data would reside in PowerBI -- PowerBI environment would only be used for frontend report design.

thank you kindly,
Cos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cosminioan 

if you have SQL Server Enterprise with Software Assurance then yes you can install Power BI Report Server. If you DO NOT have Software Assurance then it is not included.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cosminioan
Regular Visitor

thank you, @GilbertQ .  this resolves the development concern, which I agree with, however, from a PBI server licensing $ perspective, are there any considerations, when connecting live to tabular cubes, meaning, no PBI will not store any data -- 

thank you again --

hi @GilbertQ , I guess I was not more explicit, from a server licensing standpoint, if a company already has the SQL Server Enterprise Edition, is PowerBI Server included in the cost, if say, putting on the same server, or is there an additional cost involved?  thank you kindly.

Hi @cosminioan 

if you have SQL Server Enterprise with Software Assurance then yes you can install Power BI Report Server. If you DO NOT have Software Assurance then it is not included.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @cosminioan 

You would still need a Power BI Pro license for the development of the reports.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors