Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

OnDaRoXx

PowerBI . embedded on Sharepoint with external users

I want to share a report with an external customer via a Sharepoint website. The report is embedded on this web page. I have therefore
- Invited external customer as external collaborator in our Microsoft environment
- Assigned him to a group
- Gave this group read access to the report and the web page

Problem: He sees the web page, but the embedded report is not displayed to him. Does he need PowerBI PRO (which i have)? That would be very difficult, since very few of our customers will have the PRO version.

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @OnDaRoXx 

To give users free secure access to Reports you need a Premium Capacity licence. This is good if you have many people (>400) that need to view Reports. If you only have a few users that need to view Reports securely it will be cheaper to buy them a Pro licence each.

The Premium Per User (PPU) licence is for people who want some of the benefits of Premium Capacity (Larger Datasets, faster Refreshes, Paginated Reports etc.) at a lower entry cost. But be aware here that one PPU licence is not much use, as everyone needs a PPU licence to view content on a PPU workspace.

See : Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The other alternative is to use "Publish to web" which places the Report on a publicly accessible web store. Anyone can view this Report without a licence, but it is not secure (anyone on the internet could find it) so it should not be used for proprietory information. see: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
OnDaRoXx

Thank you very much for you clarifycation. Finally: So there is no option to share Reports with customers without having them the pro version or publish without restrictions to web?

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OnDaRoXx ,

Agree with the explanation given by @Burningsuit . If the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

OnDaRoXx

Does this means that i need to licence a capacity for several thousand euro or do i need only one premium user?

When it is so expensive - which other options do i have to share it with external users without they need to have a peo license ?

Hi @OnDaRoXx 

To give users free secure access to Reports you need a Premium Capacity licence. This is good if you have many people (>400) that need to view Reports. If you only have a few users that need to view Reports securely it will be cheaper to buy them a Pro licence each.

The Premium Per User (PPU) licence is for people who want some of the benefits of Premium Capacity (Larger Datasets, faster Refreshes, Paginated Reports etc.) at a lower entry cost. But be aware here that one PPU licence is not much use, as everyone needs a PPU licence to view content on a PPU workspace.

See : Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The other alternative is to use "Publish to web" which places the Report on a publicly accessible web store. Anyone can view this Report without a licence, but it is not secure (anyone on the internet could find it) so it should not be used for proprietory information. see: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

OnDaRoXx

Hi, thanks, this helps. Can you Explain me - what exactly is a Premium Capacity Workspace? Means this that an admin need a Premium Licence or do we need a company wide Premium Account? I dindt find the right Microsoft help ticket.

Hi @OnDaRoXx 

A Premium Capacity workspace can be created when the organisation has a Premium Capacity licence.

See : What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

hope this helps

Stuart

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @OnDaRoXx 

If the Report you shared is not in a Premium Capacity Workspace anyone will need a Pro licence to view the report shared with them, or a PPU licence if shared from a PPU workspace. Only content on a Premium Capacity Workspace can be shared with people who have a Free licence, all others need a licence to view.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors