Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BM4291
Resolver I
Resolver I

PowerBI Paginated - Date Parameters use different locale

Hi,

In the past week or so we've noticed some odd behaviour in a handful of paginated reports in the PowerBI service; they're displaying UK date formats (dd/MM/yyyy) to the user, however when rendering, the data is being filtered using US formats (MM/dd/yyyy).

I can run the reports fine locally in Paginated Report Builder and we're using the latest version.

The reports are DAX based and have tested using DATEVALUE/CONVERT in the query but both express the same in the service; any other ideas on how I can force the locale to UK here? Or anyone else experiencing this?

The below identifies this issue locally and in the service:

DEFINE

VAR s = DATEVALUE(@StartDate)
VAR e = DATEVALUE(@EndDate)
VAR s1 = CONVERT(@StartDate, DATETIME)
VAR e1 = CONVERT(@EndDate, DATETIME)

EVALUATE
{
	ROW("StartDate DATEVALUE", s)
	, ROW("StartDate CONVERT", s1)
	, ROW("StartDate Parameter", @StartDate)
	, ROW("EndDate DATEVALUE", e)
	, ROW("EndDate CONVERT", e1)
	, ROW("EndDate Parameter", @EndDate)
}

Local

BM4291_0-1649072441676.png

Service

BM4291_1-1649072487913.png

Service Payload

BM4291_2-1649072521369.png

***UPDATE***

I've come up with a workaround to use hidden parameters which force the locale to UK; this feels hacky but is allowing users to access data.

For each date, I have a hidden parameter i.e. StartDateHidden and this is formatted as: =FORMAT(CDATE(Parameters!StartDate.Value), "dd/MM/yyyy") and then it's this parameter being fed to DATEVALUE() in my DAX query.

Ideally this kind of step wouldn't be necessary!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BM4291
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thanks @Tutu_in_YYC ,

This error is slighlty different in that the values shown on the screen are in the correct locale, and are even passed back to the report in the correct format; it's that DATEVALUE() is then rendering them in a different locale despite the model, browser, and user being set to UK.

The workaround I've highlighted above does the trick for now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BM4291
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thanks @Tutu_in_YYC ,

This error is slighlty different in that the values shown on the screen are in the correct locale, and are even passed back to the report in the correct format; it's that DATEVALUE() is then rendering them in a different locale despite the model, browser, and user being set to UK.

The workaround I've highlighted above does the trick for now.

Thanks for the additional information!

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi BM,
The date format in the service is dependant on the browser's language settings. I came across the same issues, but for the standard power bi reports. See if this helps?

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1649113742246.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors