cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zuzana Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Power Shell Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Method Post failing

Hi, 

I'm trying to create script that will refresh some datasets through Power BI API. I have registered App in Active Directory and gave it almost every permissions possible for Power BI Service (only missing ones are "Read and write all content in tenant" and "View all content in tenant"). I am the owner of the refreshed dataset and admin of Data Gateway it accesses.

If I put in my script cmdlet:

$urlrefresh = "groups/$groupID/datasets/$datasetID/refreshes"

Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url $urlrefresh  –Method GET

everything is working and script will retrieve list of refreshes, but if I'm trying to do the same with -Method POST, script fails on some kind of write error.

I'm assuming it must be some kind of permissions problem, but like I said, App is already having almost all of them.

Error message:

Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod : One or more errors occurred.
At line:2 char:1
+ Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url $urlrefresh -Method Post –Verbose
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Power...werBIRestMethod:InvokePowerBIRestMethod) [Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod], AggregateException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : One or more errors occurred.,Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Power Shell Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Method Post failing

Hi there

My understanding is that in order for the API to refresh it actually has to write data back into the dataset.

And that would appear as to why it is failing. I would suggest adding the permissions for read and write and see if the script then works.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"

Power BI Blog
Zuzana Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Gilbert,

thanks for your reply. App is registered in AD with all permissions possible. Is there something different (perhaps on tetant level) that can override them?

Capture.JPG

Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest making sure at the top where it says"Application Permissions you got that set to what is shown below.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Proud to be a Datanaut!"

Power BI Blog