Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rik2307_
Regular Visitor

Power Bi composite model - users can't see visuals/data

Hi All

I have created a Power Bi composite model report and published into my Org. workspace.

The report works well for me but not for the people I shared it with.

The issue is that all visuals with data display the error you see in the screenshot attached.ISSUE COMPOSITE MODEL.png

I have read a couple of articles on here that mention Gateway and Data credential settings.

In my case the Gateway seems not to be needed:

rik2307__1-1617274200794.png

With regards to the Data credential settings I have cheanged these to what you see below but it still doesn't fix the issue.

rik2307__0-1617274177220.png

Can you please help? Anything I should do?

8 REPLIES 8
rik2307_
Regular Visitor

Thanks All for the replies so far.

As of Today after making sure all permissions are enabled (except that of Workspace admin) the end user still cannot view the report. I wish it was a lot "simpler" to share. 😑

Hi @rik2307_ did you ever get this resolved in the end, I am experiencing the same issue and have tried giving the users all access to everything and it still doesn't work for them. I have a ticket open with Microsoft for the past 4 months and they still cannot help. Any help much appreciated. 

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @rik2307_  ,

Each user should have access to read from the underlying dataset. 

For example if a user has access to a report but not the underlying dataset (Read permissions) the user will not be able to see the data.

The same applies with composite models to ensure that the security is in place.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Which SKU do you have ? Shared or Premium capacity?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, your users need to have access to your app/workspace AND to ALL apps/workspaces where the datasets reside that you included in your composite model.  Think of it as a crazy game of RLS where you can't say the name RLS.

Just to be clear. Its not enough to give the user read access to all underlying datasets of a composite model report + access to the app which distributes this report? 

Correct, that is necessary but not sufficient. They also need to "install" all upstream apps.

Thanks for that, so to double check do end users need a "viewer" or must have a "contributer" permission level on all workspaces linked to the model to make it work?

Is there any way of doing this without granting full access to the workspaces?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors