Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

magnus_b
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI no longer working on Samsung TVs with Tizen browser?

We have been using the built-in browser in Samsung TVs to show dashboards in our offices for several years. Recently it stopped working simultaneously on all TVs. When trying to open a report, it will briefly show the Power BI logo loading, before going back to the workspace page again.

We believe the date it stopped working was June 8th or June 9th. It stopped working on all nine of our identical TVs at the same time. I know Tizen browser is not officially supported, but unfortunately no other browsers are available for the TV.

TV-model: Samsung 55" TU6905 UHD 4K Smart TV

Browser: TizenBrowser 3.1.11260

What we have tried:

Power cycle the TVs
Logging out and logging in from Power BI
Checked that the software on the TVs is up to date

Reset TVs to factory settings

Tried opening different reports

Did Microsoft release an update that made Power BI service incompatible with Tizen browsers? 

Any recommendations for how to manage TV dashboards in scale, assuming the built-in browser can no longer be used? Ideally something with low maintenance and cost.

Appreciate any advice!

5 REPLIES 5
vicente-iii
Helper I
Helper I

I have a similar problem as well, but this is happening to only 4 out of our 300 TVs. It iis stuck at the login page and does not even allow me to login. It will be extremely problematic if the problem on our 4 TVs were replicated to the other 296 TVs. We haven't even found a solution to fix the 4 TVs

Hi there, are your reports still working on the other TVs? I am looking to buy a Samsung smart TV to display PowerBi report and don't want to go Pi route.

@vicente-iii We couldn't find a solution and ended up going with https://www.yodeck.com/ which uses Raspberry PI devices connected by HDMI to the TV to show Power BI dashboards. A lot easier to manage as well, instead of having to login on each TV.

Thanks, @magnus_b! It still sounds painful but it's better than nothing

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @magnus_b ,

The Tizen browser is not supported and I am wondering how it worked at all.  But, you can vote for it to be supported here:  Microsoft Idea  

I am betting that Samsung did an update to their firmware and you are caught in it.

I did find this that might be helpful to install a different browser on the tv's:

How to Download a Different Samsung TV Internet Browser (lifewire.com)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors