Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nagpuresushant
Frequent Visitor

Power BI license usability amongst different tenants

Hi,

I have a question related to Power BI license usability amongst different tenants.
A user (from tenant A who has Power BI Pro/Premium license for tenant A) has been given 'Guest User' access on a different tenant (tenant B). Can this user make use of his/her license from tenant A to access Power BI environment of tenant B (provided, necessary access has been provided by Power BI Admin from tenant B). Or sepearate license has to be provided to user from tenant B.

Thanks,

Sushant

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @nagpuresushant ,

Licensing can be a bit tricky but here is a quick explanation that I go with that seems to make it easier to understand.  The USERID of the signon for the user has to have a PRO license to use a tenant. 

So, if a tenant shares to that user's userid that has the license no problem.  Therefore, a user with a license can access any tenant they are given rights to go to.   

However, if a tenant does not share to that user's pro user id and rather shares only to their own internal userids then, that tenant has to provide a license.  This is because these are unique id's to each tenant based on that tenant's active directory.

Therefore, the answer is - to what user id was the report shared?  That is the key question.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nagpuresushant ,

Power BI pro license is associated with the account. User A has a pro license in tenant A, so when you assign permission to A in tenant B, the pro license is still valid.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nagpuresushant ,

Power BI pro license is associated with the account. User A has a pro license in tenant A, so when you assign permission to A in tenant B, the pro license is still valid.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @nagpuresushant ,

Licensing can be a bit tricky but here is a quick explanation that I go with that seems to make it easier to understand.  The USERID of the signon for the user has to have a PRO license to use a tenant. 

So, if a tenant shares to that user's userid that has the license no problem.  Therefore, a user with a license can access any tenant they are given rights to go to.   

However, if a tenant does not share to that user's pro user id and rather shares only to their own internal userids then, that tenant has to provide a license.  This is because these are unique id's to each tenant based on that tenant's active directory.

Therefore, the answer is - to what user id was the report shared?  That is the key question.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors