Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sandiskajins
Frequent Visitor

Power BI gateway data sources

Hello,

We have computer, where Power BI gateway is installed and configured to connect to our SQL Server DB. Now we want other user, who is working on another computer to access data from that gateway and create reports. We added that user as this gateway administrator and data source user. User logged in to his cloud Power BI account, he can see that gateway under “Manage gateways”, but he can’t use any data from DB that is connected to this gateway. When he choose to create new report, there is no any dataset to choose.

Could You please describe me how this is working and how we can use data from gateway. Install gateway to all user computers isn’t necessary, right?

Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sandiskajins

"Is this how Power BI /Gateway is working and every user who want to create reports should install desktop version and manually add data source to create reports?" 

Yes, for the user to create report they need to install the client PowerBI desktop, then click on Get Data and select the respective DataSource such as SQL, HANA, file or any other DataSource in the list where your data lives. 

Note that the user user have an account or use an account that as access to the underlying database or source. 

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
sandiskajins
Frequent Visitor

Anyone? 

sandiskajins
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am testing Power BI tool.

We have computer, where Power BI gateway is installed and configured to connect to our SQL Server DB. Now we want other user, who is working on another computer, to access data from that gateway and create reports. We added that user as this gateway administrator and data source user. User logged in to his cloud Power BI account, he can see that gateway under “Manage gateways”, but he can’t use any data from DB that is connected to this gateway. When he choose to create new report, there is no any dataset to choose.

Could You please describe me how this is working and how we can use data from gateway. Install gateway to all user computers isn’t necessary, right?

Thanks.  

@sandiskajins

So there are 2 physical machine involved here-Machine A has gateway installed and Machine B does not(User Machine). 

These are my suggestions:

1. If you need User using machine B to access data on the gateway box then you can add the user to the actual physical machine i.e the Machine A as a windows standard/admin user.

2. Give the user remote access abilities to the Machine A. This way the user can RDP into the Machine A has a virtual machine through remote session while using his/her machine B.

Note- User on machine B can create reports against any datasource and published to PowerBI services from this location on Machine A.

For the Gateway:

The Admin of the gateway needs to create a DataSource to associated to the gateway on Machine A, then on the user tab select users who can use this datasource. 

Note the user does not have to be an admin of the gateway itself if that is what you want.

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI 

Hi, 

I don't want user from machine A to connect to machine B, I just want user on machine A to create reports using data source connected to gateway on machine B.

Now I have data source connected to gateway. User from machine A is added as this gateway user. 

2018-08-16 11_17_20-Power BI.png

When I try to create new report on machine A, there isn't any data source available. 

When on machine A , using desktop version, I manually add new data source (the same as on gateway) and publish it to cloud, than I am able to create reports and data refresh is working via gateway. Is this how Power BI /Gateway is working and every user who want to create reports should install desktop version and manually add data source to create reports? 

@sandiskajins

"Is this how Power BI /Gateway is working and every user who want to create reports should install desktop version and manually add data source to create reports?" 

Yes, for the user to create report they need to install the client PowerBI desktop, then click on Get Data and select the respective DataSource such as SQL, HANA, file or any other DataSource in the list where your data lives. 

Note that the user user have an account or use an account that as access to the underlying database or source. 

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

Ok, so MS Power BI Gateway is only for data refreshing not accessing. Thanks. 

Please add the SQL server as a data sorce from  the second users account in Gateway.

prihana
Helper V
Helper V

Hi,  Ask the second user to add the datasource under the gateway and check.

Under gateway settings, second user can see to which data source this gateway is connected. 

2nd scenario - user is added as gateway user not administrator. So he can't use "manage gateways" settings. What about this? He still should be able to use data source connected to this gateway and create reports, isnt't he? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors