Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dantappin
Regular Visitor

Power BI SharePoint Group Site Access - allow group users access by default?

I am new to Power BI and am on a trial plan for context.

I created some reports and published them from my personal workspace to a Sharepoint group page, of which I am an admin.

Users can only access the reports after they individually request access, which is less than ideal.  I want group members to have access by default.

Is this a trial membership issue or something else? I could be missing a basic idea of how Power BI / Sharepoint works so feel free to clue me in. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You don't have to approve them if they're a member of your group that's attached to the SP site and you share the report or the app or the workspace with the group. You'd use the same group for the site and for your PBI content.

The decision for pro/premium depends on how many users you have. You probably want to start with pro unless you have thouands of Power BI users. Everyone viewing a report in the web client needs a license with pro. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dantappin
Regular Visitor

Hmmm... I am now reading that perhaps I have no way to share all the cool dashboards I created with my team without them all having a pro license OR going down the rabbit hole of the embedded application. 🤦‍♂️💸 

You can share Power BI reports and workspaces with a Microsoft 365 group, which comes with a SharePoint site. As long as your SharePoint site is M365-group-linked that'll work fine for you. You do need pro licenses or a premium workspace for people to view either way, though. 

Don't use embedded for trying to get internal people access to reports, that won't save you money. 🙂

@christinepayton wrote:

You do need pro licenses or a premium workspace for people to view either way, though. 

As in my licence needs to be pro / premium?  It's not clear between all the sites etc.  I was reading this as in my co-workers need a pro licence to just view the SharePoint reports.

My bigger issue is also access - currently I have to approve each co-worker to access the report.  This will get old fast.

You don't have to approve them if they're a member of your group that's attached to the SP site and you share the report or the app or the workspace with the group. You'd use the same group for the site and for your PBI content.

The decision for pro/premium depends on how many users you have. You probably want to start with pro unless you have thouands of Power BI users. Everyone viewing a report in the web client needs a license with pro. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors