Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Services data source connection with Azure SQL without on-premise data gateway

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if Microsoft have enable in Power BI services a direct data source connection SQL Azure? So there would be no need to install a server with on-premise data gateway.

Any help in this issue would be really helpful.

Have a nice day!

2 REPLIES 2
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous, that is certainly possible.

However, you have to take into account a few things:

• Specify the fully qualified server name when connecting (see below for more details).
  • Ensure firewall rules for the database are configured to "Allow access to Azure services."
  • Every action such as selecting a column or adding a filter will send a query back to the database.
  • Tiles are refreshed every hour (refresh does not need to be scheduled). You can adjust how often to refresh in the Advanced settings when you connect.
  • Q&A is not available for DirectQuery datasets.
  • Schema changes are not picked up automatically.

At our company point 2 is a NO go for IT/security, so we're currently not able to do this.

For more info have a look at Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery.

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com
Twitter: @NickyvV

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

The information given was very helpful however when checking the links it references Power BI Desktop or this applies also for "Power BI Services"? If yes could you please tell me how to configure it. 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors