Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YellowDog
Regular Visitor

Power BI Service Live Connection and Missing Dataset

Created a PBIX called Appointments Master in Desktop, and published up to the service.  No problem there, I can see a dataset called Appointment Master in the desired Workspace in the service.  Next, starting with Desktop, I created a live connection to the Appointments Master dataset in order to create an Appointments report.  The Appointments report is then published up to the service in the desired Workspace.   Appointments Master and Appointments are intended to be two distinct entities.  One contains the data model, the other the actual report.

Problem:  After publishing, I see the Appointments report in the Workspace, but not the dataset.  If one wanted to download the PBIX of the Appointments dataset in order to modify in Desktop, you can't find the dataset to download.  It seems the only way to modify the Appointments report is to edit directly in the Service, but my preference is to use Desktop.

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually no, the dataset for the "linked" report doesn't appear where I published it - it doesn't appear anywhere.  However, the report does appear, and I found out you can download the PBIX associated with the report by opening the report and selecting File => Download the pbix file.

I guess that does kind of promote the "master" dataset idea - only the master dataset appears.  All linked reports don't appear as datasets, but you still can get to the PBIX when necessary.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @YellowDog 

It is correct that the Appointments report you will not see the dataset in the same app workspace.

This is because the dataset lives in another app workspace. You appointments report has got a connection to the dataset in another app workspace

Yes as it stands today sometimes you cannot download the PBIX from the service. Best practise is to always start with the desktop PBIX file, make changes and publish that up to the PBI Service. In doing so you always have got the original copy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Actually no, the dataset for the "linked" report doesn't appear where I published it - it doesn't appear anywhere.  However, the report does appear, and I found out you can download the PBIX associated with the report by opening the report and selecting File => Download the pbix file.

I guess that does kind of promote the "master" dataset idea - only the master dataset appears.  All linked reports don't appear as datasets, but you still can get to the PBIX when necessary.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors