Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

davebi
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to refresh a direct query-based dashboard once a minute?

We're looking for a solution to update shop-floor dashboards once a minute or so.  Currently looking into Power BI direct query reports pinned to a dashboard.  We have set up the data gateway on prem to a few simple (aggregated) Oracle database tables populated in real-time from our ERP system.  Now that we have set up a few reports/dashboards and published to the gateway server, we found that we can't perform frequent updates - 15 minutes being the most frequent.  This won't work for our visual shop floor where we would like to have up to the minute status. 

Our demo from a Microsoft partner last year showed this capability (cars crossing a bridge in Seattle demo) so we decided to get some licenses and build a proof of concept - which looks good but doesn't refresh frequently enough.  Is this possible in Power BI?  If so, what type of license/setup is needed?  We envison something like the flight status displays in an airport, where the data is up to date with minimal flashing of the web page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

In that example they were using a streaming dataset where you are pushing the data from your source into the dataset. And then you have dashboard tiles from a streaming dataset. Which will update in real time.

I would suggest looking into streaming datasets

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mrausch
Regular Visitor

Is it possible to auto refresh direct query data one a shorter time interval such as once per minute?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

In that example they were using a streaming dataset where you are pushing the data from your source into the dataset. And then you have dashboard tiles from a streaming dataset. Which will update in real time.

I would suggest looking into streaming datasets

Power BI Blog

Ok - have spent some time reviewing online materials about the streaming data sources.  Looks like a push data set will accomplish what I need.  I set up the new data sets based on tables and fields that I want to use from my Oracle database on a Unix server based on the definitions I set up in the prior DirectQuery reports.  I see that a URL and some code examples are generated after saving the data source.

Now - has anyone fed the data source from a Unix server, Oracle database environment?  I assume that the push URL from the 'information' icon must be executed, but what is an effective way to get the data in the raw or cURL example into the push to Power BI? 

You should be able to do it from a Unix Server as long as you can get the data you need and push it into the streaming dataset

Power BI Blog

Does a streaming dataset require a premium license or can I set it up with a pro license?

Hi there

It works with Power BI Pro.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors