Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jesgam
Regular Visitor

Power BI - Requires me to click "Log In"

Hi

We have been using app.powerbi.com for long time now. No problems. 

But the last 2 two weeks, we har having problems. 

Using google chrome brower

Clear cache and alle other cached items

open dashboard

Logs in to O365 with user that have powerbi Pro licence 

Choose yes to  "Keep me logged in". 

Then dashboard opens - all good

This report updates with regulary F5 refresh overy 5 min 

After app. one hour, we get message, that we need to login to open report. Yellow button. 

If we click "Login in" then reports open again - NO O365 login 

Anybody have this issue, that after some time you need to press button to login ? This is killing me - please help 🙂

/Jesper G

16 REPLIES 16
jesgam
Regular Visitor

Hi again

Check this video

Clear all cache

close brower

open browser

open report

login to O365

"Always stay logged in"
Open report choose "Login in"

close brower

Open browser 

open report

then message with "login in" appears. It should just open report. 

Hi, @jesgam 

Since your link is about embed report, when you close the browser and open it, you must click to sign in again. I checked it, and I also need it here.  If you open a normal report, you can use the cache, which should be by design.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Janey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

ok

My problem is that when i click "log in" and repors open it will run for about 1 hour, then it gives me "Login in" button again... 

Hi, @jesgam 

Please Please delete the video link you sent before (you can modify the reply you have sent).

Change the setting last hour to last 24 hours. 

vjaneygmsft_0-1645495560876.png

The browser page in edge will automatically sleep, you can try to turn off this setting or actively add pages that do not automatically sleep.

vjaneygmsft_0-1645495803811.png

Janey

Hi again

I have played around with this settings and no change... My tabs dont sleep, because every tab will be refresh automatic every 5 minutes. But after app. one hour we get login box again. Browser have not been restarted. 

Have any other suggestion ? 

@jesgam  Any updates?

Hi 

Well no update, still nok working. 

Just to clarify, the security tokin will be renewed when page in browser is updated? just like press F5 in browser...  Right? 

Hello @jesgam 

Yes, you can understand it this way, but the specific operation depends on the actual, You'd better try it yourself.

Janey

Hi, @jesgam 

I've found the cause, but it seems hard to change. If you can set it up successfully.

Based on this document:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-secure

• To achieve a single sign-on experience, use the Embed in SharePoint Online option, or build a custom integration using the user owns data embedding method.

• The authentication token lifetime is controlled based on your AAD settings. When the authentication token expires, the user will need to refresh their browser to get an updated authentication token. The default lifetime is one hour, but it could be shorter or longer in your organization. There is no ability to automatically refresh the token in this scenario.

If you can increase the lifetime of authentication token.

Reference:

Set lifetimes for tokens - Microsoft identity platform | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

jesgam
Regular Visitor

Hi 

It happens on difference reports and on difference machines. 

But machines are running chromeOS - So cant test this on edge brower. 

Cache on brower is set to never run out so et seems not to be setting in brower that is causing this. We have 10 other running same setup with chromeOS and same report, that dont have this issue. 

Do you know, if there is bad network in this area, and some times it looses network. Could it then drop session and give login box? 

Hi, @jesgam 

It's hard to say, is the region where your tenant is located and the region where the data source is located? Did this problem happen suddenly, or did it happen before? 

vjaneygmsft_0-1645431008755.png

So is it a problem with multiple reports or the same report? Is it a problem on one machine or every machine?

I need more information to judge, please add more relevant information of the report.

Janey

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jesgam 

Does this problem only occur when this report is opened? Do other reports have the same problem? What is the data source for this report?

Try to use edge browser to see if it will improve. 

Check google chrome browser cache time:

vjaneygmsft_0-1645424446146.png

Best Regards,

HI 

I have just testet this on edge brower on my own machine, and there it also have this behavior - check link to video

We have this report - open link direct to report, every time we close brower and open report again it will have us to login. I think this is same issue we have on ChromeOS where one report have to open and referes every 5min. 

@jesgam 

I checked your video, it's normal, The link you copied is not signed in, so you need to log in every time you open it.

Do you check this option when you first sign in powerbi?

vjaneygmsft_0-1645431407009.png

Is this an embed report? 

vjaneygmsft_1-1645431574454.png

Janey

Hi

Yes sorry - first thing i do is to login and choose "Stay logged in" ... 

@jesgam 

There is no problem with the video you displayed, me too, you must click to log in for the first time after you close the browser.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors