Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbieng

Power BI Report Embedding in Sharepoint - License Details

Hi Everyone,

We are publishing(using Pro Account) our power bi reports into Power BI Service. Later we are embeding it in Sharepoint. 

Following are my questions.

1. All the users who access the sharepoint reports also shoud have the pro license.

2. If there are any external users accessing the reports embedding in sharepoint, they also should have Pro license.

3. How we implement the row level security for external users, if we have them in out mapping tables, will it work?

Thanks...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

Questions 1 and 2 you are correct.

For Question 3, external users would get access to the report, but if they are not defined in the RLS Security in the mapping tables and in the Power BI Service they will get a big cross "X" saying that they cannot see the underlying data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

You are supposed to be using Power BI Premium (either A SKU, EM or P1) with power bi embedded with Customers.  They are going to push hard soon not to use pro as really pro is meant for internal usage only and you must have a license to basically view anything in a workspace, much less put in Sharepoint.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @powerbieng , 

Is assumption 2 still correct if I use a Power BI premium account? Do all externals need a power bi pro license?

I am trying to embed one of our reports on sharepoint (for external users) but havent succeeded in making RLS work. (Nb: it does work on the Pbi Service when I use "view role as"). 

Thanks for your help. 

Melanie

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

Questions 1 and 2 you are correct.

For Question 3, external users would get access to the report, but if they are not defined in the RLS Security in the mapping tables and in the Power BI Service they will get a big cross "X" saying that they cannot see the underlying data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

You are supposed to be using Power BI Premium (either A SKU, EM or P1) with power bi embedded with Customers.  They are going to push hard soon not to use pro as really pro is meant for internal usage only and you must have a license to basically view anything in a workspace, much less put in Sharepoint.

MauriceMecowe
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @powerbieng ,

All the users who view a report should have a Power BI Pro license. The same goes for external users. If you've added them to your Azure Active Directory your RLS should work also for your external viewers.

Cheers,

Maurice

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors