Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jobamoorthy
Regular Visitor

Power BI Pro with limited embed dashboard/report content in web app with less than 10 user case

I would like to ask Power BI license cost and Azure Power BI embedded cost for below scenarios

Use case /Scenario: 1 Power BI pro license with master user

Requirement

1. Our customer have Power BI Pro license and they created dashboard, Reports in Power BI Pro account
  2. Customer want to embed their report into the web application
  3. Customer have less than 10 user to use the web application or we consider MAX user limit of the web application access is 10 Users.

We will develop web application for customer and plan to embed their report into web application and plan to use master user credentials for embed token purpose (This is the limitation of the Power BI pro embed feature)

Mostly of the dashboard and reports are using push data set which means live data, whcih means once the data will update into dataset immediately after few mins it will update into dashboards and reports.

Queries

1. Can we use Power BI Pro with limited embed token feature for embed the dashboard and reports, basically these dashboard and reports will be used push data set data?
  2. Is it required to purchase Azure Power BI embedded in the above use cases /scenarios for less then 10 user limited access and planning to use power BI push data set data in reports?
6 REPLIES 6
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jobamoorthy 

To embed Reports/Dashboards into a web application securely you will have no choice but to buy the Embeded Power bi License. This type of license doesn't depend on number of users but on the number of nodes you purchase

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

Now if you want a sheaper solution but not secure you can buy only one Pro License, build your report, Publish them to the service and generate the Publice URL code, you can then Embed the Iframe code to your website.   

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi Amine Jerbi,

Thank you for your response

In case of security, what kindly security provided by Azue Power BI embedded w.r.t embed the reports into web application?

Also here we are using only Push/Streaming datasets only. Can this case be accommodated without an Embedded Capacity? Because embedded capacities are mainly used for complex queries and for processing very large PBIX files. Is our understanding correct?

You mention cheaper solution, Can we deploy this solution in production envionment?

In case possible for production envionemnt, this cheaper solution can workout for below scenarios

Use case /Scenario: 2 Power BI Pro license with service principals

Requirement

1. Our customer have Power BI Pro license and they created dashboard, Reports in Power BI Pro account
  2. Customer want to embed their report into the web application
  3. Customer have less than 10 user to use the web application or we consider MAX user limit of the web application access is 10 Users.
  4. Customer have their own Azure AD and create service principals to access the Power BI Dashboard and reports.

We will develop web application for customer and plan to embed their report into web application and plan to use service principals for embed token purpose (This is the limitation of the Power BI pro embed feature)

Use case /Scenario: 3: On behalf of customer we purchase Power BI Pro & create Azure AD

This is same like "Use case /Scenario: 2", but on-behalf of customer we purchase power bi pro and create azure AD.

Thanks and Regards,

Joba

@jobamoorthy 

This sounds more like a case study my friend 😀

First Question : Security means roles and permissions, who can do what! Using Power BI embeded means no one can access the report/dahsboard/Dataset with at least a Pro license and Roles/permissions

Second Question : Yes it can be accommodated without Embedded Capacity.

Second.1 Question: Not quite correct. Embedded is like Premium Capacity, and in general it is like you choose your own machine to share its capacity between the workspaces (Reports,Dashboards,Datasets). Embedded on the other hand is a feature used to be able to embed reports/dashboards into a web application. Large or small PBIX files that is another topic of discussion.

Third Question : No, Push/Streaming datasets don't work for Public URL. You will need at least Pro Licenses for whom ever is going to use the report. 

To summarize both scenarios : If you want to embed the reports into the web application then you need Embedded Capacity. If you want to use Power Bi Service (No Web Application) then you will need to purchase Power BI Pro for every one using the report and accessing it in the service. Don't forget Power bi has already its own Web  and Mobile Application.

Hope this will cover this Case study 🙂  

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi Amine Jerbi,

Thank you for your detail explanation. Got your answers ‌‌

Some more clarification

So, as per your explanation without purchasing Azure Power BI Embedded Capacity we can not embed our report /dashboard into web application in the production envionemnt.

Question no.1: Is my undestanding correct?

Question no.2: Is it possible to embed the report into the web application without using embed token ?

As you mention for push/streaming dataset not required embedded Capacity

My understanding in this case is without using embed token we can embed the report (reports will uses push/streaming dataset) into web applciation. So we no need to purchase embedded capacity.

Question no.3: Is it possible to embed the report into the web application without purchase embedded capacity? assume Power BI pro licensed user as an login user of the web application.

Thanks and Regards,

Joba

Hi Joba

Q1 : Yes correct

Q2 : No, for push/streaming you will need Embedded Capacity to embed it into the Web application

Q3 : For a report (Not push/streaming) the answer is YES. When you build a report and publish it to the service there is an 

aj1973_0-1643721308251.png

IFrame that you can Embed into a page of your website : for that you will have 2 options either the "Website or Portal" like you see in the picture but for that your users will need a Pro Licenses to see the report(regardless of the Web application Login), OR there is an Iframe PUBLIC URL that you also embed into the web application and your users won't need Licenses. the second option however comes with risks and limitations : the risk is that the report is public even when it is embeded into the web application with logins, and the report is on view mode only so the user cannot export a visual to Excel for example.

Clear !?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi Amine Jerbi,

Great. Thank you for your answers 

Question No.1

Is it possible to use Azure AD token to embed the reports? as it is mentioned in the power bi playgroud (using tokenType)

jobamoorthy_2-1643760276765.png

Question No.2

For the below option, Can we use Power BI REST API to get the "Embed report -> website or portal"? 

jobamoorthy_0-1643759673181.png

Basically,

How dynamically get the below content using power bi REST API and embed into the web application?

jobamoorthy_1-1643760020892.png

One final question 🙂 

Is there any MS document link w.r.t legal implication when we use Power BI Pro license for embed the dashboard/reports into the web application?
Assume: Power BI pro license has limited embed token, will be good enough for our requirement scenario, so we use that in production environment

Thanks and Regards,

Jothi Baskaran K

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors