Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Won

Power BI Premium Capacity Architecture

We currently have one Power BI Premium capacity that has multiple workspaces per environment (Dev, Test, and Production). Recently, we conducted load testing on one of our new reports in the Test workspace, and this caused our Production users to experience degraded performance. To avoid such issues and prevent environments from sharing resources within the same capacity, we are considering provisioning an additional capacity specifically for Development & Load testing purposes.

I tried searching on Google to see if there are any examples or documentation of others implementing this strategy, but I wasn't able to find anything relevant. Other than the cost implications, do you have any concerns with this approach? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Won Biggest concern is that Premium capacity is going away and you will not be able to purchase it any longer. You will likely want to use a Fabric F-64 capacity that you can shut-off when not load testing. That way it won't cost you anything but storage when turned off.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Won

Thank you @Greg_Deckler for the response; I wasn't aware of that. By the way, do you see any problems about having separate Capacities for Development and Production? The idea is to isolate the environments so that Production users are not affected by potential performance degradation from heavy loads or testing activities during development phases. I haven't been able to find any use cases or documentation on this practice, and I'm wondering if it might not be the right approach. Could you share your thoughts? Thanks!

@Won It's always the right approach to isolate dev/test environments from production. Especially if you are doing load testing. Then it's absolutely the right approach. Power BI doesn't change any of the fundamentals of good IT practices!

Latest book!:

Great, thank for confirming, @Greg_Deckler. Appreciated your insights! 

Best,

Won

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Won Biggest concern is that Premium capacity is going away and you will not be able to purchase it any longer. You will likely want to use a Fabric F-64 capacity that you can shut-off when not load testing. That way it won't cost you anything but storage when turned off.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors