Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MikeMcCallum
Regular Visitor

Power BI Personal Gateway installing as an app rather than as a service

Hello all.

I am logged into our Azure Windows 2012 server as user whose is a member of the Administrator group.

I have tried installing the Power BI Personal Gateway service several times now but it always installs as an application rather than a service. I'm even chosing the "Run as Administrator" option when executing the install.

I don't think it has anything to do with my Power BI user account which is being asked for during the install.

Any ideas why this is happening? 

Cheers.

- Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dimazaid. Thanks for the quick response!

I have figured out my issue. Although the account I was using was part of the Administrator's group, I found that I needed to also grant it the right to logon as a service.

Once I did that (and after having uninstalled the gateway), the next time I installed the gateway it was installed as a service.

Now I can have the gateway working without needing to be logged into the machine.

Perhaps this would not have been an issue if I simply logged in to the server as Administrator. Not sure about that.

Hope this helps somebody else who comes across the same issue.

Cheers.

- Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi @MikeMcCallum

Your expectation is right, if you install as an admin it hsould be running as a service. 
Could you check the event viewer for any issues while installing? here's how: 

Open event viewer  

Expand “Applications and Services Logs”  

Click on “Data Management Gateway” and  "PowerBIGateway"  

Optionally, "Save All Events As…"  

As a workaround, have you considered trying the Enterprise Gateway? It runs as a service and only works as an admin, try installing it and see what you get.

Hi @dimazaid. Thanks for the quick response!

I have figured out my issue. Although the account I was using was part of the Administrator's group, I found that I needed to also grant it the right to logon as a service.

Once I did that (and after having uninstalled the gateway), the next time I installed the gateway it was installed as a service.

Now I can have the gateway working without needing to be logged into the machine.

Perhaps this would not have been an issue if I simply logged in to the server as Administrator. Not sure about that.

Hope this helps somebody else who comes across the same issue.

Cheers.

- Mike

great! glad to hear it got resolved. Please mark the question as answered. 

Thanks!
Dimah

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors