Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sanjoyleo
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Performance

Hello All,

This would be the first time we are creating PBI reports for customer. I have provided the report page where 17 Tiles are there. Among them ther are 4 Slicer.

I have 4 Tables which where used in this page   (note : total 11 tables and 6 report pages) .  Record count of such tables are like below :

TTICLCCP

We have used DirectQuery and we have On prem Gateway installed for data source. Data source is SQL Server 2016  (no SSAS/Cube) .

Below is the page refresh time

PBI Desktop

PBI Service

Changed date slice 2 months

40 Sec Full Page

45 Sec

Changed date slicer to 4 months

40 Sec full page

45 Sec

Changed date slicer to 3 months + Issuer Type V

80 Sec Full page

90 Sec

Select a Client Code when date slicer is default to 3 months

25 Sec Full page

35 Sec

Here one user is saying 45 Sec is too high to see a change.

My question is based on volume , no of Tile/slice -- 45 sec is too high  ?

If yes, how can I know where exactly  it's taking time ? 

I tried to do SQL Profiler , but found it works with Native query only , so no help.

I tried to read files from ../../Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\Traces location  , but could not figure out much.

So how can I say my design has some flaw where performance can be improved (knowing that I will not change number of tiles/slicer) from page. I already followed https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance as much as possible. I am using Pro license version.

Report_Page.png

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

I would suggest ensuring that your databases is optimized for queries from Power BI. This will ensure that it can return the dataset as quickly as possible.

The potential bottleneck is that the data is being sent queries from Power BI (Which are not the most efficient) but it is the underlying database that is taking some time to answer the queries.

Also another factor is due to having so many visuals it has to send a query for each visual.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks 

@sanjoyleo

If you want to check the query sent from PowerBI to your data base, you need to go to the SQL Server Profiler if you are using management studio from Microsoft or download this for Oracle : https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10501_01/em.920/a96674/db_admin.htm#1013955

- Quentin

What I found is if we use only Native query then only we can use that Profiler only . We arre using Direct query with out Native query .

sanjoyleo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi v-xjiin-msft  ,

Can you please provide your thoughts?

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @sanjoyleo

I've experienced the same issues. When checkin on the SQL server profiler I saw that the query made by PowerBI were not optimized (and there is no way to change that apparently)

The best option I found for my self was to create views of my table only keeping needed columns and by filtering my view with the years of data needed (I don't need data from before 2013)

Then, i've imported the view to PowerBI and it importing them work A LOT better than DirectQuery

Quentin

Thanks for your responce !

I can't filter data at this time. Need all the data available in table. So looking for some expert comments if the page refresh time that I have at this time is normal or not in terms of my setting & Volumes ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors