Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lorenz33
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI OData data source cannot connect to the on-premise gateway

We have a Power BI database with and "OData Feed" data source. We are able to connect to the OData Feed in Power BI with entering the URL and then choosing "Organizational Account" to access the data. The report was created and then uploaded to the Power BI Service.

When looking at the data source settings for this report in the Power BI Service we see that the option to configure a scheduled refresh is greyed out. We tried adding adding this data source to our on-premise gateway and tried using Windows and OAuth 2.0 Authentication methods but both fail. Any help on how to shedule refreshes for OData Feed data sources would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Lorenz33
Helper III
Helper III

When trying to add the dataset to the gateway, under new connection I choose "OAuth 2.0" for the authentication method. I then click on "Edit Credentials" and I get these messages at the top:

Unable to start OAuth login for this data source. DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_PipelineJsonDeserializationError

Details: MyGatewayServer: Deserialization failed for 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.Communication.OperationDataContract'.

Same error message for Windows auth?

Is this an internal ODATA source like Jira?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

When looking at the data source settings for this report in the Power BI Service we see that the option to configure a scheduled refresh is greyed out. 

That's not the right place to look.  Did you mean the dataset settings?

Yes. I did mean dataset settings.

I checked in our environment and the ODATA connections seem to work with Windows authentication.  What's the error message when you try to create the gateway connection?

When trying to add the dataset to the gateway, under new connection I choose "OAuth 2.0" for the authentication method. I then click on "Edit Credentials" and I get these messages at the top:

Unable to start OAuth login for this data source. DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_PipelineJsonDeserializationError

Details: MyGatewayServer: Deserialization failed for 'Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.Communication.OperationDataContract'.

What happens when you DO NOT choose OAUTH but Windows authentication?

Within Power BI Desktop, when connnecting to the OData Feed data source, I tried choosing windows and entering my windows credentials (DomainName\Username) and then password. It fails when I click connect. Anonymous will not work. Basic is for entering local data source account but I tried entering my Windows credentials and it failed. For Web API a key has to be entered which was not provided to me. Only when I choose "Organizational Account" and click on "sign in" will I be able to successfully connect to the data source.

I  then uploaded the report to the Power BI Service. In the dataset settings "Data Source Credentials" are greyed out. I then try to add it to the on-premise gateway. The authentication methods that are available are Anonymous, Basic, Windows, and OAuth 2.0 and they fail when I try and connect.

What needs to be done to successfully connect to an OData Feed data source from Power BI so scheduled refreshes can be set up?

At this point assuming you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi

When the report was created in Power BI Desktop I chose "Organizational Account" and then clicked the sign-on button where I was automatically authenticated.

In the Power BI Service, in dataset settings, when trying to add the dataset to the on-premise gatewayy,  I choose Windows for the Authentication method I enter:

Username: DomainName\UserID

I enter the password and then click "Create". I get this message:

Unable to create connection for the following reason: Invalid connection credentials.

Details:

OP-PRD-DGW-1: The credentials provided for the OData source are invalid. (Source at https://abcd.ctc365acc.lok.com/api/data/v8.2.)

Please have this information handy if you choose to create a support ticket.

ActivityId: 9aae958c-ad8d-47ad-8e76-bcef1a54e91b RequestId: 5d336913-3a7d-42d6-9f95-6b75a9b9ceb9 Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com
Status code: 400
Time: Mon Sep 11 2023 10:30:44 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors