Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michael163
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Embedded for customers usage report per user

Hi, I am putting together a user behavior report of our PowerBI Embedded app, and I cant seem to get to the breakdown of the actual users. The data contains only internal accounts that have direct access to the power bi app but doesnt differentiate all other users that come to the app via azure B2C to our embedded app. What are best practices to get report to see how often what user logs in and what dashboard they view? What Im getting is useless. Thank you

michael163_0-1709496377210.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @michael163 

You can use Power BI REST APIs to fetch for information on Activity events 

Admin - Get Activity Events - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michael163 ,

To get a comprehensive breakdown of user behavior in your PowerBI Embedded app, especially to track how often users log in and what dashboards they view, you can integrate Azure Application Insights with your app.

Here’s a high-level overview of the steps you might take:

Integrate Azure Application Insights with your PowerBI Embedded app to track custom events.

Define custom events in your application to log specific actions, such as user logins and dashboard views.

Use the Power BI JavaScript API to capture events emitted by the embedded components if needed.  You can read this topic for a further study: User activity for an embedded Power BI dashboard - Microsoft Fabric Community

Implement Row Level Security  if you want to restrict data access based on user roles.

For users coming through Azure B2C, ensure that you’re capturing their sign-ins and interactions within the app. You may need to set up custom policies in Azure AD B2C to log these events.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michael163 ,

To get a comprehensive breakdown of user behavior in your PowerBI Embedded app, especially to track how often users log in and what dashboards they view, you can integrate Azure Application Insights with your app.

Here’s a high-level overview of the steps you might take:

Integrate Azure Application Insights with your PowerBI Embedded app to track custom events.

Define custom events in your application to log specific actions, such as user logins and dashboard views.

Use the Power BI JavaScript API to capture events emitted by the embedded components if needed.  You can read this topic for a further study: User activity for an embedded Power BI dashboard - Microsoft Fabric Community

Implement Row Level Security  if you want to restrict data access based on user roles.

For users coming through Azure B2C, ensure that you’re capturing their sign-ins and interactions within the app. You may need to set up custom policies in Azure AD B2C to log these events.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @michael163 

You can use Power BI REST APIs to fetch for information on Activity events 

Admin - Get Activity Events - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors