Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sparticus223
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Data model with RLS Connected to Excel RLS published not working

My team published a Power BI Connected excel cube to service with RLS. The RLS works when you test security ; however, when the user refreshes excel on service the RLS isn't holding. The Dataset RLS is working in PBIX files on service but when we upload the pivot table excel into the workspace, it doesnt appear to be working. 

Not sure if others have this issue but suspect i do not have RLS showing correctly.

Screenshot 1 - Below is the selection we are using -

sparticus223_0-1643990113358.png

Screenshot of workspace permissions 

Workspace permissions   as viewer 

sparticus223_2-1643989960346.png

Here is RLS at the dataset level 

sparticus223_1-1643989920581.png

5 REPLIES 5
esabu
Frequent Visitor

@sparticus223 did u get a solution to this issue?
I am also facing the same issue in my project. I am working on a migration project from SSAS Tabular cubes to Power BI semantic models. The legacy system working in such a way that, the users connect the Excel templates to SSAS cubes and analysing the data. Now the proposed system with Power Bi is, users need to connect the same Excel templates to Power BI semantic models.
For that I applied RLS in the Power BI service on semnatic model which I created on top of direct lake house. I assigned RLS groups to viewers. They couldnt see the dataset in excel. Then I provided viewers with build and write access. Then they are able to see dataset but RLS IS NOT WORKING!!!. 
@sparticus223  can you please help if you got any option to solve this

sparticus223
Frequent Visitor

@collinq 

True, but PBI File can connect to a Dataset and still maintain RLS. 

Perhaps since excel doesn't have RLS model security natively,  it isn't applicable for restricting  when it gets to this format.  We aretrying to upload multiple pivot tables / cube formulas for our users but without RLS this will not work. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @sparticus223 ,

I am not positive how you have the Excel file linked, but according to this article: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs  "

• You can define RLS only on the datasets created with Power BI Desktop. If you want to enable RLS for datasets created with Excel, you must convert your files into Power BI Desktop (PBIX) files first. Learn more."

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thank you for the reply. 

We have the file linked to a power bi dataset with RLS. We are connecting a pivot table to the dataset and  uploading back to the service. 

From what i can see, RLS Seems to break from the initial sourcing.

Hey @sparticus223 ,

That could be - I am also wondering if the issue might be because it is a "cube" rather than a file or series of files.  I am not sure how you properly secure pieces of a cube since, by definition, a cube is rolled together.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors