Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PostgreSQL credentials invalid - Unable to live connect powerbi to PostgreSQL

I created a dashboard in Desktop, published it to PowerBI, and now I want to enable Schedule refresh (in app.powerbi.com - workspace) on the PostgreSQL database that succesfully linked in Desktop, but I am not able to link the data source here. I am using the same credentials compared when I link to the PostgreSQL data base in PowerBI Desktop, so I really don't see why it does not work.

PowerbiPowerbipowerbi_credentials_invalid.JPG

Interestingly, I am also not able to create a dataset from PostgreSQL from app.powerbi. Which makes me think it is not supported. If this is the case, I would love to get some recommendations on how I can set up a live connection to our database.

Some help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
mjeh
Frequent Visitor

This is not working and can't work. 

After 45 minutes sent with Power BI support on the phone, it appears that the feature hasn't been completed and should come with January 2020 update. 

A message has been added on the December annoncement page: 

We had originally announced that the below connector releases would be available by Friday, December 20th. Due to the holidays, there will be a delay until early January. They will be made available to all installs of December 2019 Power BI.  Apologies for any inconvenience.

Wait and see

Thanks for updating us, strange that MS provides a half working feature without taggin it as "beta" and withotut thier own support team not readily knowing it can't work.

Looking forward to seeing this work, PBSQL is a major db player after all...

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. For the invalid credentials,

Do you add a firewall rule for the IP address of your gateway server?

Please check if the problem is caused by Firewall or proxy.

And here is a complete guide to setting up Power BI connecting to Postgres w/ refresh enabled which you can refer to.

2. For connecting to PostgreSQL in Power BI Service, 

I'm afraid it is not supported in Power BI currently. You can vote this similar idea to improve Power BI.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey, thanks for your reply!

1. invalid credentials

All IP's should be on the whitelist so that can't be the problem. As for the guide, it says we need to install a gateway, but as far as I know this is not required if all data is in the cloud instead of an on-site server. Is that correct?

2. Connecting to PostgreSQL in Power BI Service

Hmm ok, that seem odd as I would expect that a lot of people would value that connection. I can surely vote on the idea, but as the idea originates from 2016 that probably would not do much. Do you have any other recommendations for how we can get a live connection with our data that can also be easily shared with colleagues? Would be great, thanks

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is this problem solved?

If it is solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Icey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey,

Unfortunately it is not yet solved. We think we shouldn't need a gateway, but we are still receiving the error (also when creating a dataflow). So we are trying to figure out why this is hapenning. We have submitted an azure support request hoping that this can be figured out. I'll let you know when I know more. Thanks

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Power BI Service can generally connect to cloud data sources without a gateway. However, you might need a data gateway if your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks.

2. Maybe you can try this:

1. Live connect to PostgreSQL in Power BI Service.
  2. Publish it to Power BI Service. 
  3.  Set scheduled refresh for it.
  4.  Others can create reports using this dataset.

Or, you can create a dataflow and others can use it.

dataf.PNG

In this case, please pay attention to this:

Most dataflows reside in the Power BI service tenant. However, Power BI Desktop users cannot access dataflows that are stored in Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 account, unless they are the owner of the dataflow, or they have been explicitly authorized to the dataflow’s CDM folder.

For details, please refer to this document.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors