Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Data Gateway Refresh Python

Hello,

I have a report with python data source and am unable to schedule a refresh with the personal data gateway. I get the following error: 

You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:
Data source for data_frame
Discover Data Sources
Query contains unknown function name: Python.Execute Unknown function name: Python.Execute is a valid Mashup library function name format. Hence fail the operation.

I have the personal gateway app installed and the diagnostics test do show successful connections. The report works fine in Desktop. Is there some other configuration I need to do?

8 REPLIES 8
michaelx2
Employee
Employee

Hello thepete1,

Did you try to run the python script via python console on the gateway? Add is the detected python home directories consistent with the path setting in environment variables?

Best Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea the gateway is in personal mode on the same machine that it was developed on. Script works fine running directly on the machine. Is there something specifically to try through the gateway app?

Is there only one version of python installed on your gateway?If there are different versions installed , please make sure the libraries used in your script could be imported correctly with the detected python home directory in python script options.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep only 1. I started with 3.8 but removed that and put 3.7.1 since that is what the documentaion references. Is there a specific version that should be used?

Hello thepete1,

There is no specific version of python for that. I'm using version 3.8, and it works. How did you get the data in your script, is there some external data in your script? If possible, please provide the script code snippet.

Best Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry was on vacation so late getting back to this! Yes the script does get external data via an API call which is why I am trying to use the personal gateway. I did test the sample python script from here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-python-scripts and i get the exact same error

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Install Python on your gateway?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got it install on the same machine as the gateway. Is there something specifically to add it to the gateway?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors