Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s4muel

Palantir Foundry - optional parameters of the data source not taken into account in PBI Service

Hello,

I'm looking for some answers regarding the Palantir Foundry data source.

Here are the information requested when you select a Palantir Foundry connection.

s4muel_0-1658494726694.png

Only the 1st parameter - Base URL - is mandatory: the 2 others are optional.

1. I created 2 reports based on the Palantir Foundry connection.

- the 1st one with the maximum of information filled (mandatory + optionals)

s4muel_1-1658494800664.png (this connection points to a Palantir dataset)

- the 2nd one with the minimum of information (mandatory only)

s4muel_2-1658494868426.png (the connection is more generic and allows the select any palantir dataset)

2. In Service, I created the 2 same data sources.

My questions:

1. I'm surprised I can select both data sources in the Settings>Gateway Connection of the datasets: I can map the 1st dataset with the 2nd data source and the 2nd dataset with the 1st data source (regardless the optional parameters). In both cases, refreshes work.
  2. If I create a 3rd report with other optional parameters (= another Palantir RID):
    • I don't need to create a new data source: I can select the 1st data source (based on another RID) in the Settings>Gateway Connection of the dataset
    • The refresh also works

I don't think I can restrict the data source by using the Dataset RID/Branch.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or I didn't understood with the Palantir connection?

Regards,

S4muel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @s4muel 

"RID", which is the dataset identifier . As long as you do have Foundry access to the table, you can still pull it into Power BI® for visualization. Use the optional dialog box on the preceding page to specify the “dataset RID”. The RID is the unique identifier for the dataset and is stable even if you move the dataset. You can locate the correct RID in Foundry by navigating to the desired dataset’s “About” page, clicking on “see more” and copying the RID value. 

It exists so that when you access the parent folder in Foundry, you can visualize the data inside through the RID. Rather than restrict the data source by using the Dataset RID/Branch. 

https://www.palantir.com/docs/foundry/analytics-connectivity/power-bi-faqs/#why-dont-i-see-my-table-... 

https://www.palantir.com/docs/foundry/analytics-connectivity/identify-dataset-rid/ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @s4muel 

"RID", which is the dataset identifier . As long as you do have Foundry access to the table, you can still pull it into Power BI® for visualization. Use the optional dialog box on the preceding page to specify the “dataset RID”. The RID is the unique identifier for the dataset and is stable even if you move the dataset. You can locate the correct RID in Foundry by navigating to the desired dataset’s “About” page, clicking on “see more” and copying the RID value. 

It exists so that when you access the parent folder in Foundry, you can visualize the data inside through the RID. Rather than restrict the data source by using the Dataset RID/Branch. 

https://www.palantir.com/docs/foundry/analytics-connectivity/power-bi-faqs/#why-dont-i-see-my-table-... 

https://www.palantir.com/docs/foundry/analytics-connectivity/identify-dataset-rid/ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors