Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mtitsworthsfmfb
Frequent Visitor

PBI Usage Logs

With the introduction of Fabric, wondering if there is a more straight forward way of pulling usage data into a dataset (like a lakehouse). Going the PBI logs REST API route seems onerous for a pretty standard request. Might there be a connector in development with data flows?  

Maxwell 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Miszel8
Frequent Visitor

Hello,
AFAIK you must go for Power BI REST API and GRAPH API if you want to add the licence/entra groups information.

The good news is I've created a completely automatic solution to gather all of this data on the daily basis, historise it in the small dwh and display the results in Power BI report -> all of the needed items are in the Git Repo.  All you need to do is to deploy it.

You can deploy it easily within a day. Here is the github link:
https://github.com/AstralForest/Power_BI_Monitoring

The architecture looks like this:

Miszel8_0-1711620679897.png

and the example report like this one:

Miszel8_0-1711621030753.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mtitsworthsfmfb
Frequent Visitor

This is great, but I'm still surprised there is no OOTB solution from Microsoft on this topic. 

Miszel8
Frequent Visitor

Hello,
AFAIK you must go for Power BI REST API and GRAPH API if you want to add the licence/entra groups information.

The good news is I've created a completely automatic solution to gather all of this data on the daily basis, historise it in the small dwh and display the results in Power BI report -> all of the needed items are in the Git Repo.  All you need to do is to deploy it.

You can deploy it easily within a day. Here is the github link:
https://github.com/AstralForest/Power_BI_Monitoring

The architecture looks like this:

Miszel8_0-1711620679897.png

and the example report like this one:

Miszel8_0-1711621030753.png

Hi - Thanks for the solution. This looks great. We have ADF and Azure Databricks workspace.

Would it be possible to outline the instructions to help configure?

Thanks,

John

Thanks @johnpjustus ,

Concerning the version which is available on GitHub:

Concerning Databricks:

• After some adjustments you can use DBR instead of SQL DB if you want
  • I'm working on the version without Azure Functions (ADF + SQL DB) , as it does not use Azure Functions it can be potentially easier to migrate to DBR
  • If you have all your ETL/Data on Databricks it maybe good idea to put there also this solution, on the other hand the solution itself is pretty independent from the standard ETL/Reporting and the costs of the infra are not high

Thank you so much, I will give it a try to deploy!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors