Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lubosst
Frequent Visitor

PBI On Premise Data Gateway Errors (minimizing using system resources)

Hi, I was playing with gateway settings to help our server, which is not the fastest one. I try to modify MemoryUtilizationPercentageThreshold and CPUUtilizationPercentageThreshold and set them to 60%.

Then, when my dataset in PBI services was trying to refresh, I got error: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_GatewayOverloaded. It was easy to figure out, where is the problem and retun default values in config file.

But interesting thing, I was unable to find anything about this error. Even google did not find anything ;). Is there some list of all possible errors Gateway can have?

What recommendations do you have to minimize system resources for Gateway?

(Memory and CPU limitations lead to errors, Mashup Containers limitations results in report didn't even start to refresh - in services, gatway looks like offline)

Thanks for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@lubosst

Gateway sizing recommendations depend on many variables. like Cache data workloads,Live Connection and DirectQuery workloads.

We provide you with general recommendations that you can take into consideration.

For more information,you can refer to this:On-premises data gateway sizing  

On the other hand,enable addtional logging setting  will increase the log size significantly, based on gateway usage. We recommend that after you finish reviewing the logs that you disable additional logging. We don't recommend leaving this setting enabled during normal gateway usage.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@lubosst

Gateway sizing recommendations depend on many variables. like Cache data workloads,Live Connection and DirectQuery workloads.

We provide you with general recommendations that you can take into consideration.

For more information,you can refer to this:On-premises data gateway sizing  

On the other hand,enable addtional logging setting  will increase the log size significantly, based on gateway usage. We recommend that after you finish reviewing the logs that you disable additional logging. We don't recommend leaving this setting enabled during normal gateway usage.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"What recommendations do you have to minimize system resources for Gateway?"

You're holding it wrong.  You want "moar power", not less.  Use a gateway cluster with multiple cluster members. Each cluster member should have at least 4 cores (better 8), at least 8GB RAM (better 32) and ample of fast disk space.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors