Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPalmberg
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Orphaned workspaces and mail-enabled security group admins

I'm trying to avoid listing specific individuals as workspace admins. But when I enter a Mail-enabled security group as the only workspace admin, the workspace becomes orphaned. Do I need to use a different type of security group?

11 REPLIES 11
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @MarkPalmberg 

After testing, the workspace becomes Orphaned when the group is listed as the only administrator. It is possible to have at least one member of the group as an administrator at the same time, which is the Active state.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for this additional confirmation, @v-zhangti . So, in a use case where I want to use a group to admin a workspace (so I don't have to worry about individual staff turnover on our reporting team), there's really no point; I may as well list the members of my team individually if I want them to be able to admin a workspace.

Hi, @MarkPalmberg 

You can set up a fixed administrator for managing the workspace. On top of that, it is perfectly fine to add other groups as administrators or members.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

And where / how do I set up that administrator? Azure AD?

Hi, @MarkPalmberg 

Still add admins here. An administrator account is required, or it can be a regular email account.

vzhangti_0-1653010237718.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Nice. Even more reason to raise the ticket if the documentation doesn't match your reality.

Thank you, @lbendlin , for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

this is happening on V2 workspaces? Shared or premium?

Yes, V2 workspace, Premium per capacity. I'm a member of the mail-enabled security group I'm trying to use as an admin, so I can still get in and modify access settings after removing my individual account from those settings, but the service is telling me my workspace is orphaned.

I don't think Microsoft had anticipated your usage scenario. Assuming you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

It sounds like they're describing my scenario here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces

• Use more granular workspace roles for more flexible permissions management in the new workspaces. In classic workspaces, you can add only individuals to the members and admin lists.
  • Assign user groups to workspace roles: In the new workspaces, you can add multiple Active Directory security groups, distribution lists, or Microsoft 365 groups to these roles, for easier user management.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors