Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JulianT83
Regular Visitor

On premises gateway (personal mode) can,t connect to database

Hello,

i never had issues to connect to SQL-Databases, but now after reinstalling the gateway i get a connection error. In Power BI Desktop it is working without any issues. Any ideas?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JulianT83 ,

The gateway for personal mode does not need to be configured on the Connection side, select semantic model and go to settings.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715840485302.png

Ensure that it is running under a personal gateway.

vhuijieymsft_1-1715840485305.png

The data source credentials are configured according to my diagram below.

vhuijieymsft_2-1715840499879.png

You can see that it is running fine.

vhuijieymsft_3-1715840499883.png

If you are configuring a personal gateway in New Connection, what is the name of your gateway cluster? I did a test and it doesn't show up in this tab at all.

When connecting to a SQL Server data source, after Publishing it to Service, select Personal Gateway directly in the Gateway of the semantic model, and the data source credentials are configured according to the above figure to display the reports normally.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JulianT83
Regular Visitor

JulianT83_0-1715780308203.png

here i cannot chose local, just cloud, thats the problem

JulianT83
Regular Visitor

JulianT83_0-1715767586474.png

The service wants me to have a connection via cloud, but not the local connection via the gateway, as it is blocked from outside it is not working

Hi @JulianT83 ,

The gateway for personal mode does not need to be configured on the Connection side, select semantic model and go to settings.

vhuijieymsft_0-1715840485302.png

Ensure that it is running under a personal gateway.

vhuijieymsft_1-1715840485305.png

The data source credentials are configured according to my diagram below.

vhuijieymsft_2-1715840499879.png

You can see that it is running fine.

vhuijieymsft_3-1715840499883.png

If you are configuring a personal gateway in New Connection, what is the name of your gateway cluster? I did a test and it doesn't show up in this tab at all.

When connecting to a SQL Server data source, after Publishing it to Service, select Personal Gateway directly in the Gateway of the semantic model, and the data source credentials are configured according to the above figure to display the reports normally.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JulianT83 ,

Thanks for the reply from @sergej_og .

Gateway (personal mode) only runs on 64-bit versions.

If you receive an error similar to the following when entering the Windows credentials for your data source, you may still be using an older version of the gateway (personal mode).

vhuijieymsft_0-1715734960474.png

When you uninstall the gateway (personal mode), the data source credentials for the dataset configured for refresh are removed from the Power BI service.

Solution: In the Power BI service, go to the dataset's refresh settings. In Manage Data Sources, select Edit Credentials for any data source where the error occurred. Then log in to the data source again.

For more information please see:

Troubleshoot Power BI gateway (personal mode) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

sergej_og
Super User
Super User

Not sure to get it right.
You are using (now and before reinstall) a gateway - personal mode?

Your gateway client is running on your local maschine, right?

Could you register your gateway after reinstall in Service?
Does your new gateway has the same name like your prior one?
What happend to your old connection to SQL DB in Service after reinstall?

Regards

The gateway is working again, and still it is working with local data, but if i want to connect to SQL DB i am told, that credentlals are wrong. But i can reach them via PBI desktop with the same credentials. Do i nee a custom connector for this? From outside the SQL database i not reachable, but the IP from the office is unlocked so it always worked before like that. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors