Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

On-premises data source: File type data source, intermittent network error - which log files?

We have a number of data sources on-premises added to the PowerBI service, these are File type data sources.  We have an On-premises data gateway cluster with two servers, both running the latest version of the OPDGW (3000.122.8).

Each morning, we have around 15 files which are on a scheduled refresh every couple of hours during the morning and early afternoon.  This last week we've been getting the data sources intermittently failing, with an error as follows;

An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.

Refresh failed:

[#Data Source Name#] has failed to refresh.
Failure details: The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support.

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"<pi>The specified network name is no longer available.\r\n</pi>"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Detail","detail":{"type":1,"value":"[#Local UNC Path to file used as data source#]"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataSource.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: [#Data Source Name#] Data Table.

Next refresh for [#Data Source Name#] is scheduled for May 6, 2022 12:30 UTC.

Not all data sources fail, its inconcistant which data sources fail.  Sometimes its 5 or 6 of them, sometimes its just one.  Each time its different data sources.  Every time it fails, I immediately confirm that the file path is in fact there, and is there from the servers that the on-premises data gateway servers are on.

I've been trawling through the On-Premises data gateways logs once i've exported them, but I can't seem to locate which log file an error like that should appear in.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The only ones who can interpret these gateway logs are Microsoft and their system partners. Raise a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ and let them figure it out.

Note:  Where possible you should use Folder or Sharepoint Folder data sources rather than File data sources.  That will drastically reduce the number of gateway connections that you need to maintain.

Note 2: You can (ab)use the try ... otherwise ...  Power Query concept to immediately attempt another connection. Also use Binary.Buffer and Function.InvokeAfter as needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors