Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfrazie1
Helper I
Helper I

On-premises data gateway - Network Request Returned Unexpected Error

Background: I'm running a PowerApps application and connecting to a 2014, 32bit sql server via an on premises datagateway on a virtual machine running windows server 2016. I had the gateway up and running for months until I needed to change my password as part of company policy. When I changed my password, the gateway failed. I logged into the Gateway and tried to change the password but I had a few failures. 

The issue I'm having is "Network request returned unexpected error". I've installed and re-installed at least 5 times, and restarted the virtual machine several times. I downloaded the latest gateway version and the latest .Net version at suggested by the gateway. Prior to downloading the latest version, I re-installed an April 2020 version and  it seemed to get me further than the current version. The April version at least prompts me to select my azure AD account but when the configurator tries to show the organizational sign in it just closes and gives me an error. 

I'm really at a loss here - it's been about a week of troubleshooting and still have not found a solution. I installed the gateway on my laptop without issue but can't get it to work on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

The current log file from the July 2020 on premises gateway version is as follows: 

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Initialize EnterpriseGatewayMainViewModel
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : GetConfiguratorStateAsync
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Configuration client returned null
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Sign In
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Warning: 0 : Cannot access default endpoint https://api.powerbi.com and start to use fallback endpoints. Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 20.42.6.2:443
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalEndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverEmailProperties>d__8.MoveNext()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ServiceEnvironmentDetailsFactory.GetEnvironment(String emailAddress)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 20.42.6.2:443
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverEmailProperties>d__8.MoveNext()<---

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : (False) MSAL 4.7.0.0 MSAL.Desktop Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0 [08/14/2020 20:30:21 - 4f8b1904-9edd-4bcc-84d2-e1ba4e6acd75] (UnknownClient: 0.0.0.0) MSAL MSAL.Desktop with assembly version '4.7.0.0'. CorrelationId(4f8b1904-9edd-4bcc-84d2-e1ba4e6acd75)
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : (False) MSAL 4.7.0.0 MSAL.Desktop Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0 [08/14/2020 20:30:21 - 4f8b1904-9edd-4bcc-84d2-e1ba4e6acd75] (UnknownClient: 0.0.0.0) === InteractiveParameters Data ===
LoginHint provided: False
User provided: False
UseEmbeddedWebView: NotSpecified
ExtraScopesToConsent:
Prompt: select_account
HasCustomWebUi: False

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : (False) MSAL 4.7.0.0 MSAL.Desktop Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0 [08/14/2020 20:30:21 - 4f8b1904-9edd-4bcc-84d2-e1ba4e6acd75] (UnknownClient: 0.0.0.0) === InteractiveParameters Data ===
LoginHint provided: False
User provided: False
UseEmbeddedWebView: NotSpecified
ExtraScopesToConsent:
Prompt: select_account
HasCustomWebUi: False

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : (False) MSAL 4.7.0.0 MSAL.Desktop Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0 [08/14/2020 20:30:21 - 4f8b1904-9edd-4bcc-84d2-e1ba4e6acd75] (UnknownClient: 0.0.0.0)
=== Request Data ===
Authority Provided? - True
Scopes - https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api/user_impersonation
Extra Query Params Keys (space separated) -

19 REPLIES 19
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What part of

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client is not defined in registry

is unclear ? 🙂

The gateway configuration requirements keep changing. Recommend to re-read the documentation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-tshoot 

If it's any consolation - it took me three weeks and several tickets to get my gateways back up after the "June Desaster".

Hi,

It's not clear to me. Could you provide a little more information on TLS? Do I need to adjust a registry setting? I upgraded to the latest version of .Net (4.8). Could this be part of the issue?

Thx

Keith

You need to patch the registry on your gateway machine to set TLS1.2 to not disabled.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]
"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000

I dont have TLS 1.2. The only folder under Protocol is SSL 2.0. Should I be creating TLS 1.2?

Thx

Keith

I added TLS 1.2 to the registry. Also added DisabledByDefault and set to 0. Added Enabled and set to 1. Restarted the Virtual Machine, re-installed the Gateway, and still got a few errors.

Let me guess. Missing/expired certificates?

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Initialize EnterpriseGatewayMainViewModel
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client/Enabled data in registry, value: 1.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client/DisabledByDefault data in registry, value: 0.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319/SchUseStrongCrypto data in registry, value: 1.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319/SchUseStrongCrypto data in registry, value: 1.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Configuration client returned null
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Warning: 0 : Cannot access default endpoint https://api.powerbi.com and start to use fallback endpoints. Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 20.42.6.2:443
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfiguratorClientExtensions.<DiscoverEmailProperties>d__8.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ServiceEnvironmentDetailsFactory.GetEnvironment(String emailAddress)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 20.42.6.2:443

Cannot access default endpoint https://api.powerbi.com and start to use fallback endpoints

Check the proxy settings on your gateway. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-proxy 

NOTE:  For no apparent reason Microsoft have changed locations for some of the config files.  Make sure you double check against the documentation.

I ran the following line in cmd prompt: netsh winhttp show proxy

and got: Direct Access <no proxy server>.

The first time I installed this gateway on the server, I had no issues. The latest version also installs perfectly fine without issue on my company laptop. I didn't have to adjust anything except the services account to an account on the domain. 

I feel like I may be going down the rabbit hole here. Is there something blatantly obvious I'm missing? I've also added just about every microsoft site to the list of trusted sites in internet explorer. 

"rabbit hole" doesn't even begin to describe the gateway setup and maintenance story, especially in an actual enterprise environment (Hard to believe that you are working without proxy, but so be it). 

Anyway, look at the gateway logs  (in appdata under the pbigwservice account) and work on the issues in there one by one.  Try accessing the Azure Service Bus servers via trace route, look at any restrictions on port 443 etc.

Keep posting your error messages. There are many more options for things to go wrong.

I re-installed an April 2020 version. It seems to get my further along. When it asked me to provide my email address to login to the gateway, it accepts it and then prompts me to select my azure ad account. I select it and then normally it would bring me to my company's organizational sign in page but for whatever reason it does not and it errors out. It's almost like it's trying to pop up but it closes out automatically before I can even see it. I thought it was related to internet explorer pop ups but i have pop ups allowed. Here is the error now:

Starting trace on 8/15/2020 8:16:10 PM UTC
Version: 3000.31.3
UserDomainName: 
UserName: 
MachineName: 

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client/Enabled data in registry, value: 1.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client/DisabledByDefault data in registry, value: 0.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Value SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319 is not defined in registry.

Also when I check the gateway logs on my laptop running July 2020, it says TLS 1.2 Client is not defined in the registry. Not sure adding those registry keys to the server were necessary since my laptop doesn't have them and it works great.

A few months ago, I enabled IIS. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

Another interestig point, when I try navigating to https://api.powerbi.com i get "This page cannot be displayed" but when I try to navigate to the website on my laptop, with the working gateway, I get HTTP403: 
This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

I select it and then normally it would bring me to my company's organizational sign in page but for whatever reason it does not and it errors out. It's almost like it's trying to pop up but it closes out automatically before I can even see it.

That sounds awfully familiar.  in my case some of the trusted root certificates mysteriously went missing from my gateway cluster members. I had to manually re-add the certificates to the trusted root certificate store.

when I try navigating to https://api.powerbi.com i get "This page cannot be displayed"

As I mentioned earlier - this is what you need to work on.  Something on the machine or in your network is preventing the traffic from reaching that site.  Did you disable the Windows Firewall (or poke a hole in it for 443 outbound)?

Yes the firewall is disabled.

Use Fiddler to see where the requests are stuck.  or ask your network friends for help.

A co-worker figured out it was a proxy issue (only took him a few hours). If it wasn't for him, I'd still be working on it......

Network Proxy Settings > Script address

Script address needed to be configured. Why this changed all of a sudden, I have no idea. I'm told it may have been some kind of update recently. I'm just glad it's figured out. 

I also got this error after playing around a bit (restarting, re-installing):

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Starting EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator, Version 3000.51.7
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319/SchUseStrongCrypto data in registry, value: 1.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Found SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319/SchUseStrongCrypto data in registry, value: 1.
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Error: 0 : Exception: Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.EmailDiscoveryServiceException: Network request returned unexpected error. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 20.42.6.2:443
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ServiceEnvironmentDetailsFactory.GetEnvironment(String emailAddress, Uri endpoint, String preferredCloud)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.StartSignIn(IServiceEnvironmentDetailsFactory serviceEnvironmentDetailsFactory, ConfiguratorAzureGeo selectedGeo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.DoNext(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardViewModelBase.DoNextWorker(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.RelayCommand.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<Execute>b__0()
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Update checks
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create web request for Uri: http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Response status: OK
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create httpClient request for Uri: http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Checking for PbiEgwService
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Fetch state for PbiEgwService
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Service state: Running
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create httpclient request for Uri: http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Starting EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator, Version 3000.51.7
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Error: 0 : Exception: Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.EmailDiscoveryServiceException: Network request returned unexpected error. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 20.42.6.2:443
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ServiceEnvironmentDetailsFactory.GetEnvironment(String emailAddress, Uri endpoint, String preferredCloud)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.StartSignIn(IServiceEnvironmentDetailsFactory serviceEnvironmentDetailsFactory, ConfiguratorAzureGeo selectedGeo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardSignInViewModel.DoNext(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.WizardViewModelBase.DoNextWorker(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUiCommon.RelayCommand.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<Execute>b__0()
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Update checks
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create web request for Uri: http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create httpClient request for Uri: http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Checking for PbiEgwService
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Fetch state for PbiEgwService
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Service state: Running
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create httpclient request for Uri: http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors